The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    With the humidity
    Could you buy a humidity pump?
    Goodluck

2. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    I, too, will be out of town for part of the incubation time and that is why I will be trying to get a pullet or hen or two or four [​IMG] to sit at the right time. I don't have a "self operating incubator" or anyone that would incubate for me so broodies are my only hope.

As long as the relative humidity in the room where the incubator is located is not too dry, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Since you will be back in time to raise the humidity for hatching, they should hatch okay.
    Do you normally have trouble keeping your humidity level steady?

The Trader Joe's stores in Illinois don't sell labeled fertile eggs and the free range ones I got and set did not develop. You would be better looking at your local Craig's List or check localharvest.org and put your zip in to see if there is anyone around you that sells eggs. Call and see if they have a rooster in their flock of layers.

3. caeti21

caeti21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2015
    Florida

:fl

4. TJordan

TJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama

You will know. She will puff up at you when you go near the best area. She will stay there for HOURS barking at anyone who invaded her space. Oh and watch out for the terribly big, smelly poops. You will know [​IMG][​IMG]

5. S5apiotrowski

S5apiotrowski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2014
    In the past, humidity has not been an issue -- but I was forgetting to remove the ventilation plug. I have a batch going now, and humidity is very low and water is evaporating quickly - but I am letting the humidity run low because they are very dark eggs (mostly BCM). I'll be doing my day 14 candle today - will see how it goes.

6. Humbug3445

Humbug3445 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2016
    Thats a lot of hatching you must have a big farm. What do you do with all those chicks? I have a very small place and . I live in tbe city to no roosters. I have. Some chickens that are screamers they just walk around and scream. Omg they are doi g it now and im in the house and i can hear them. They ate the grass out of my back yard. And the. The roots! I have a dirt back yard nothing to cut this summer no grass.

7. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    [​IMG] I am on day 18, 14, 10, 8, 6, 4, and 2 of my test hatches. [​IMG][​IMG]

8. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    LOL. That's great!

9. TJordan

TJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama

[​IMG] how many sets do you have going?!!

10. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    7 at the moment, total of 34 eggs. I am setting every few days, but a lot of them are still infertile. [​IMG] I just keep filling it up as I pull the clears. But the Isbars are fertile! [​IMG] Things are looking up in the project pen, though. My project cockerel is accomplishing his duty with at least one of the girls in the pen. Unfortunately she is not part of the project. [​IMG] Maybe I should change my project to a chocolate fibromelanistic green egg layer that may be split for woolly (silkied). Hmmm.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by