The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member Project Manager

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    And that's how it should be done. She definitely sounds like the one to ask for all the time...lol. That's so unfortunate about your eggs...but I'm glad she's helping to solve and resolve the issue. [​IMG]

Hopefully funds can be recouped.

I've never done this, but could a piece of cardboard be cut and stapled on with a hole just the size for only her to get through??? I'm reaching here...lol.

Really? I was hoping red light wouldn't make a difference. [​IMG]

Cuties!!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  2. Wickedchicken6

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada

3. jaide

jaide Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2014
    Iowa
    CONGRATS what kind????? 
    [/quote]

[​IMG]

4. Humbug3445

Humbug3445 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2016
    The trader joes i have is a grocery store it sll grocerys.

5. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Idaho
    Ok thanks. She must've gotten scared by something in the yard.
    I'd bet the actual hygrometer probe is teeny-I've seen digital temperature probes and they're FAR smaller than that large white thing. The white thing will just be a cover-possibly a removable one [​IMG] (have a computer geek Dad who wires up the thermal sensors for me to track things like temperatures in my iguana's sanctuary)

6. cree57i

cree57i Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    I bow down to your organizational skill[​IMG]

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  8. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
  9. Wickedchicken6

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    Speaking of which, I should update on the 5 egg hatch I just did...

Out of the five eggs to hatch from last weekend; two hatched (they are my avatar pic), one chick had internally pipped then died and two had died prior to hatching day because they were wet and didn't appear ready at all.

One of the eggs that didn't make it WAS one of the eggs with a rolling air cell that ended turned into a saddle air cell. But I should have marked everything on the eggs as I was candling at the time so I knew them apart. I've decided to make a list of different things I want to note on the eggs instead of the X on the egg so I can keep track.

Here's the two chicks from last weekend with 2 - 3 week old OEGBs chicks that I put in with them.
    (The OEGBs are SO tiny and SO cute...lol)

[​IMG]

It was mentioned earlier about thermometer? I'm loving the glass tube floating thermometers for aquariums. I just bought a third one. They're a bit harder to read, but they're small enough to put just about anywhere and they won't hurt a chick if the chick gets on it or if the thermometer falls on them, it handles the environment beautifully AND they're super cheap. The two previous ones are accurate with the outdoor thermometers I calibrated. The ones I bought also have a suction cup so I've got one mounted on the underside of the glass window of my incubator lid.

They've helped me to determine that there are no hot or cold spots in the incubator. I'm considering dropping one into a pudding cup of water to give an idea of the internal egg temperature. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN
    Well today has been frustrating. One of my hens didn't return from free ranging today. She is in the middle of a hard molt and I worry that she will be cold tonight even if nothing got her.
    I was wiring my incubator with the new thermostat and hooked it all up ...... and nothing happened [​IMG]But I was getting tired so I called it quits for the night. I will try and figure out what is wrong tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by