The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

2. Pensmaster

Pensmaster Chicken Obsessed

Jan 10, 2014
    Northern California

Any ideas on Trader Joes crossed with Legbars roo.
    Three eggs from three TJ's hens today. They just started laying 1-27 already out laying my other hens.

3. Gloryjasmine

Gloryjasmine Chillin' With My Peeps

Ohhhh I sure hope so!!! The eggs are most definitely being fertilized!!! Makes me feel bad when I take them! Maybe I shoul leave. More than 6 at a time?

4. Gloryjasmine

Thank you for the update. Also to EPS32. I appreciate it and am so glad it's been taken care of. Now,back to the family fun![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  5. Gloryjasmine

Aplynn-When one of my girls goes broody, she lays about 10-12 eggs,then she stops laying and this is when she gets all committed to setting. She gets extremely defensive. She will puff up all her feathers,this is a defense mechanism they use to make themselves appear larger than they are. And will attack me if I try to mess with her. She'll peck at me. I've had a meanie momma who drew blood. Taught me a lesson real quick! She'll only usually get off her eggs to poo,eat or drink. And will make an awful squawking sound when any other bird comes near her or even a human. Like with my ,now passed on and in heaven,moms,they were not too mean to begin with. They trusted me. When they'd go broody,they still trusted me more than some of my others would have,but might still give me warning. Just to say,I'm ok mom ,I got this! Just back off a smidgeon and gimme my space. I hope something helps. Just let nature take its course and you'll get the broody thing down in no time! Remember also,like women,all hens are different. And like my goats,they all don't show the same birthing signs. They're individuals with individual personalities. You'll learn them.

God bless,Glory

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  6. Gloryjasmine

My best broody mom was our Black Austrolorp!!! Wilson was the best mother!!! Also our barred rock,Joey was a great mama too! We have two young barred rocks that I'm having high hopes for.

7. nate1the1great1

nate1the1great1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Colorado
    So I candled the eggs Twizzler is sitting on for me, and my fertility rate is 100% right now even though I am down to my NN roo and polish roo with 16 hens, they are doing there job... I think it's mainly the NN though, becuase the polish isn't in the mood Right now. So that means I should have atleast a few babies from Twizzler, and have 35 birds coming on the 18th and 19th.. Than set eggs on the 20th, 6th, and quail on 13th...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  8. aplynn

aplynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    Buxton, Maine
    So sorry hope she wonders back in today

9. aplynn

aplynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    Buxton, Maine
    I have a white leghorn hen who is going broody and she acts just like that. Unfortunately, she is one of my egg layers and I really didn't want her going broody, that is why I got the silkies. I do have a black silkie that seems to be collecting eggs. FINGERS CROSSED that she is catching on.

10. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

Have a great day, Hatchalong Peeps!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by