The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

So last night I went to lock up the girls for the night. And couldn't find one of my rose comb leghorns. My chickens free range so I started searching could find her. Went back to the coop to do another head count and found her in a nesting box. She always goes on the roost to sleep so I said interesting. I looked her over with a flashlight she seemed fine so I locked up and went inside. This mourning she was still in there and it was 28f last night. So I'm thinking hope she's ok. I let the girls out and go to check on her. Well she is standing a little turning eggs with her beak. Then I got closer she started clucking loudly at me. So I backed off then she jumped out of the nest and took off. I haven't seen her get back on the eggs yet. This was about 30 min ago. So I don't know if I disturbed her and she gave up or what. I've never had a broody hen before so I don't know when I decide to take the eggs in and say she has givin up. And if she has givin up are the eggs good to eat after she was sitting on them all night. Any advice would be great thanks gals and guys.

Winner #2 of the Random Posting Contest is............

Chaos18

for posting here

Congratulations! You have won one of these chicken signs!
Courtesy of NotAFarm!
LL

One more chance to win!

Sweet. Didn't even know I entered
lau.gif

The coturnix when hand raised are lovely sweet birds. I have one of those animal playpens that when I clean their cages I put them in. I put the birds in a bucket and they know they are going out on the grass for a while. No trying to fly out or anything. People always told me they were skittish and could start up and even break their own necks on a too tall cage top but I haven't had that problem with mine.

I hatched and raised some and they were the most sweet little things. Wish I could have kept them but unfortunately the dog did not like them. She managed to kill one of them by dragging it through the wire on the run. She did everything in her powers to get at them, even trying to dig concrete up when I moved them after that one was killed. In the end I rehomed them as the dog was in state over them. Yet she has never bothered the chickens or even chicks, I'm thinking they smelt more like game and she saw them as a nice snack.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom