The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. LocalYokel

LocalYokel Overrun With Chickens

Course it is!
    :weee

2. LocalYokel

LocalYokel Overrun With Chickens

I'ma blue egg freak too @GitaBooks

3. chattery41

chattery41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    Checking on my NYD HAL chicks, while doing my requisite walking. Some of them are pretty naked so i ground up some dog food for them. Higher protein might help speed their feathers up. I think 25 was a bit too many under the heat plate, even tho i got the biggest one. Sold all but 10 so not so crowded now.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. chattery41

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    In other news my one hen that went broody is sitting on ABOUT 22 eggs. Thats all i could count without digging them up.[​IMG]
    The only problem is ,she's a bantam cross ! She can't cover all of them ![​IMG]
    But she's trying ! I go in occasionally and push the straw up around her.

5. chattery41

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    It was snowing to beat the band but it's not sticking at all. Just cooold out there. But that got my heart pumping so it's all good i think.

6. TJordan

TJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama
    Ok... Been up for 5 hours. One solid zip and 4 nice looking pips.... Yes before you ask I've been driving myself crazy checking them... [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] And that timer is for the last few I added. 2 days after the first ones.

7. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    So sorry to hear that. [​IMG] Could you possibly get some eggs from someone else? Maybe then you could get a few hens new hens to the mix.
    That's hilarious! My hens will do that too!

Warning: When they keep turning the eggs out from under them all the eggs eventually die from cooling off over and over. I had this problem, and only 2 out of like 12 eggs hatched so you might want to take some away before they begin developing and either toss them (as I did a few weeks ago) or put them in the incubator (as I did a few days ago). I don't like to not let chicks have a chance to hatch, but if the momma tries to hatch them you generally just get a an egg full of green slop! (trust me, that is very, very disgusting).

Best of luck! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. chattery41

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    I'm so sorry. Breaks my heart when i lose one of mine so i feel your pain. If you were close we could have a play date, I have 2 EE roos, an English Lav Orp, and 2 BCM. Your hens could take their pick of the eye candy here. [​IMG]

9. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Idaho
    I've seen them offered all the time on craigslist, if you really wanted a big one now.

10. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada

Awwww, thank you Local. :hugs

Just too much stuff going on and I was on the reserve tank. Then it ran out. :gig I crawled back to my cave and have been recharging the batteries. I'm just starting to peek back out...lol.[​IMG]

Today hubby and I are on a 8 hour round trip to his surgeon. :th:th

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by