The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

System works tons better actually. Thought I was lactose intolerant but it was my gallbladder causing problems the whole time. Have to take it easy with what I eat, but no big issues.

:jumpy   C'mon babies!

Wow, get some rest!  Hope you feel better soon.

Love looking at quail eggs.

Not generaldhsherman, but 2 of my family members have had their gall bladder out.  My MIL is completely fine.  My mom, whose gall bladder was 0% functioning when it was removed, has to be careful with really fatty meats. (mostly pork, especially bacon)  The longer post surgery, the better it has gotten for both of them.  It takes time for your body to adjust to not having it anymore.

Well its been years for my Mom and she still tends to have some problems then again the surgeon said he's never seen such an infected gall bladder before. She had over 20 stones in it or something, so I'm sure hers wasn't working either.

@Chaos18
Congratulations! Don't forget to let us know which one you pick.

In other news my one hen that went broody is sitting on ABOUT 22 eggs. Thats all i could count without digging them up.

The only problem is ,she's a bantam cross ! She can't cover all of them !

But she's trying ! I go in occasionally and push the straw up around her.

Someone has her heart set on a big family. I've never had a broody but I'm in agreement take some away so she can do better with the rest.

It is with much dread that I report I will not be able to participate in the Hatch-A-Long.  This past weekend a predator killed my only Roo :barnie .  Not just my roo but my two easter eggers as well.  Fortunately I had just hatched some eggs and I am pretty sure one of them is a roo (only 2 weeks old) but it will be a while before he is big enough to keep the girls safe.

Hopefully next year.

So sorry for your loss :(

Gonna try some pekin ducks and maran/brahma mix eggs. If the ducks keep laying that is
clap.gif
awesome!!!! do you process your pekin?

FLUFFY BUTT IS BORN!!!

At least 2 more pips. My daughter has named the chick Fluffy Butt
1f602.png
congrats!! did you mist your eggs?

So last night I went to lock up the girls for the night. And couldn't find one of my rose comb leghorns. My chickens free range so I started searching could find her. Went back to the coop to do another head count and found her in a nesting box. She always goes on the roost to sleep so I said interesting. I looked her over with a flashlight she seemed fine so I locked up and went inside. This mourning she was still in there and it was 28f last night. So I'm thinking hope she's ok. I let the girls out and go to check on her. Well she is standing a little turning eggs with her beak. Then I got closer she started clucking loudly at me. So I backed off then she jumped out of the nest and took off. I haven't seen her get back on the eggs yet. This was about 30 min ago. So I don't know if I disturbed her and she gave up or what. I've never had a broody hen before so I don't know when I decide to take the eggs in and say she has givin up. And if she has givin up are the eggs good to eat after she was sitting on them all night. Any advice would be great thanks gals and guys.
I hope she returns sounds like she was broody or just wanting to lay again.
fl.gif

Hatching Participant List is Current to Post 3291

Everyone have a great day! I'm going for another cup of coffee.
Thank you Mike!
love.gif
hugs.gif

Quote: x222222222222222222222222222222222222222222

So sorry to hear that.
sad.png
Could you possibly get some eggs from someone else? Maybe then you could get a few hens new hens to the mix.

That's hilarious! My hens will do that too!

Warning: When they keep turning the eggs out from under them all the eggs eventually die from cooling off over and over. I had this problem, and only 2 out of like 12 eggs hatched so you might want to take some away before they begin developing and either toss them (as I did a few weeks ago) or put them in the incubator (as I did a few days ago). I don't like to not let chicks have a chance to hatch, but if the momma tries to hatch them you generally just get a an egg full of green slop! (trust me, that is very, very disgusting).

Best of luck!
smile.png

Ouch ! Ok, when she gets off in the morning i will proceed to candle my heart out before she gets back. Then again i think it will be easier for me to take about a dozen from around the edge, bring them in, candle and put the ones with life into my already working incubator. Yup, sounds like a plan.

If you got her from a hatchery or a feed store than she isn't Heritage, also most backyard breeders will have hatchery Barred Rocks as well.

If you got her from a reputable breeder source that breeds to the proposed Standard than she is Standard bred, also referred to as Heritage.

Here are my pullets from today

And my cockerels

Cockerel 1 my main guy

and cockerel 2 my back up

Beautiful Barred Rocks !! I have 15 and 2 Roos, that are beautiful, but yours are just as nice, maybe better !! Nice looking girls there !

It is with much dread that I report I will not be able to participate in the Hatch-A-Long. This past weekend a predator killed my only Roo
barnie.gif
. Not just my roo but my two easter eggers as well. Fortunately I had just hatched some eggs and I am pretty sure one of them is a roo (only 2 weeks old) but it will be a while before he is big enough to keep the girls safe.

Hopefully next year.

Oh no, so sorry! I'm glad you got another boy from him. I don't have to deal with big predators, but I've had a Ferrel cat get one of my Heritage RIR pullet yrs. ago. I was so mad. We caught her, she was so mean!

ok so as I have written before, I am very new and inexperienced at incubating eggs. I have 6 eggs in my incubator right now. I posted a couple days ago that I think I had 3 or 4 quitters in there, but now it looks like 5 of 6 have quit. It was mentioned that I should calibrate my humidity and temps. Not sure how, but I did go and get another thermometer, and hygrometer and place them in with the eggs, and boy what a difference. My incubator said temp was 99.5 and humidity was 45%, new tools said 100.4 and 22% humidity. Now which do I believe? and can the low humidity be the problem with the eggs quitting on me? I do have 1 left that is supper lively, looks like it is dancing in there, I figure its probably a tough ole rooster lol. Suggestions are appreciated, I want a good result from my next batch which will be the HAL.
Todd

ok so as I have written before, I am very new and inexperienced at incubating eggs. I have 6 eggs in my incubator right now. I posted a couple days ago that I think I had 3 or 4 quitters in there, but now it looks like 5 of 6 have quit. It was mentioned that I should calibrate my humidity and temps. Not sure how, but I did go and get another thermometer, and hygrometer and place them in with the eggs, and boy what a difference. My incubator said temp was 99.5 and humidity was 45%, new tools said 100.4 and 22% humidity. Now which do I believe? and can the low humidity be the problem with the eggs quitting on me? I do have 1 left that is supper lively, looks like it is dancing in there, I figure its probably a tough ole rooster lol. Suggestions are appreciated, I want a good result from my next batch which will be the HAL.
Todd
There's a notes sections in the thread below that shows all the info on calibrating things and the importance of it.

INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come hatch, learn, Chat, Meet new Friends!

@Sally Sunshine

Back
Top Bottom