The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010

Oh my! [​IMG]
    1 person likes this.
  2. I just had my first hatching....100% hatch rate. I don't have visions of every hatch being that successful, but this will give me a reason to try my hand at it again......

I'm in.
  3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    My Coop
    you gave me a big smile Nathan!! so happy for you!

[​IMG] yer feeling lucky I can tell!

[​IMG] awesome!!

I better find some for ya I guess [​IMG]

[​IMG] but where is it? [​IMG] how you doin campin? [​IMG]

4. cree57i

cree57i Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Mt. Juliet, TN

OH MY GOODNESS! Those are gorgeous birds! How do they lay? What color are their eggs? Tell me more!
    It is not good for a chicken addict to see things like this... The phenomenon of craving develops [​IMG]... Before you know it, you are in the car trying to find out how to get to Iowa.
  5. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Oh, that's why my hen stopped sitting on "her" chicks although mine gave up after only 5 weeks. I just about had a heart attack last night when I couldn't find her in her separate "broody pen". She and the chicks flew over the 3 foot separating fence and joined the others on the roost. Guess it's a good thing I live in Arizona; the chicks were fine this morning.
  6. Hurley

Hurley Egg Of A Different Color

Mar 17, 2010
    Palmyra, WI
    My Coop
    The eggs are tinted / light brown, laying moderate large eggs at maturity. They go broody (especially if eggs aren't picked up) and are protective mothers. They'll lay through the winter with a little light, otherwise winter laying can be sporadic. They are hyperaware of their surroundings and have a ton of character, active and animated. They are a great homesteader breed, will forage for most of their diet in the summer, and tend to evade predation better than most. The males are great flock guardians and tend to be great with people and take good care of their girls. The breed is in a state of improvement currently, working to restore it back to its original form. They nearly went extinct multiple times and the gene pool got a bit thin, but the last few years have seen some great progress to restoring them back to their former form and function. It's a work in progress, but progressing we are! :)
    1 person likes this.
  7. solomine

solomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    I wanna hatch either another bunch of silkies, or some silkied or frizzled bantam ameraucanas or seramas if I can find em.

BUT I really want some ducklings this round! Hopefully some cayugas or welsh harlequins... But I heard ducks can pretty filthy ;)
    I'm really sick of my chickens raiding my mom's succulents though... they're completely in tatters.
  8. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Wow! Congratulations!
  9. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Huh, I thought it'd take me longer to catch up. It's still early yet!
  10. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    WOW! I'm 639 posts late [​IMG] and it will take me forever to catch up, but I'm in. [​IMG] What I hatch is going to be determined by which girls choose to grace me with eggs then. Hopefully a LOT more than are now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by