The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Can someone refresh my memory what do you run for humidity for chick eggs, regular, not maran or anything fancy

I personally keep my humidity between 25-30% for days 1-17 then bump up to 65% for days 18-21. Works out well for me. I hatch a lot of turkey poults and just had a really great hatch of ameraucana mixes.

I thought this was good info

Problem-solving

There are many reasons for poor hatches. Breeding, feeding, and management of the egg production flock; care of the eggs before incubation; and the incubation environment: these all can influence the hatch. Possible causes for some of the more common problem symptoms are listed here.
Symptoms Possible cause
Eggs candling clear
No blood rings or embryo growth.

1. Eggs from a flock having no roosters.
  2. Poor flock management.
  3. Eggs stored below 40° F or which were too old before setting.
Eggs candling clear
But shwoing blood or very small embryos on breaking.

1. Incubator temperature too high.
  2. Eggs stored below 40 or above 80° F. before setting
Dead embryos
Before hatching time.
  1. Eggs haven't been turned at least 3 times a day.
  2. Lack of ventilation.
  3. Incubator temperature set too high or too low.
  4. Breeder flock having poor hatchability or fed inadequate ration.
Eggs pipped but not hatched (check pecks hole through shell)
Chicks dead in shells.
Sticky chicks
Shells sticking to chicks.

1. Low average humidity.
  2. Low average temperature.
  3. Low humidity at hatching time.
  4. Excessive high temperature for short period.
Hatching too early
With bloody navels.
  1. Temperature too high.
Delayed hatch
Eggs not pipping until 21st day or later.
  1. Temperature too low.
Draggy hatch
Soem chicks hatch early, but hatch is slow in finishing.
  1. Temperature too high.
Cripped chicks
  1. Abnormalities in development.
  2. Poor nutrition of hens.
  3. Incubator temperature too high.

Good news the power is back on and all my eggs are safely back in the incubator.
Big sigh of relief

So good too hear. I was off for a while, missed your other question...sounds like you survived the heat in the car! I couldn't have stayed in there. Whew.

How long was the power out? Happy for you, bet your eggs are doing fine.

Not hoping for much from my silkie broodies the one seems to be doing well, the other keeps losing an egg out from under her. Did discover that somehow she had an extra egg today so that may have contributed. They've been sitting firmly but only time will tell I guess. Hoping that they will get some babies or stay committed until lockdown of the incubator eggs. All in all not bad for their first times I don't think.

ETA then again it was only a couple of times so far and the egg never exactly got cold. Hoping for the best!

Last edited:
I never came back to post my numbers yesterday- my official number is 13, set just inside the two day leeway period. I set 10 Wyandotte eggs, 2 Orpington eggs, and 1 Dark Cornish over Fayoumi egg which should produce an odd bird should it hatch. With the turner removed, I could still barely fit 13 in there. Every time I decide to set eggs, I am both frustrated and grateful I decided to stick with the tiny little Brinsea I did. If I hadn't, there would definitely be some Favaucanas (well, EE over Faverolles, not really Favaucanas) and more Orpingtons in there because I am weak.

Back
Top Bottom