The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Today is lockdown for most of my eggs :) I have a few silkie eggs that are actualy due on Easter morning. Since they were shipped, they got here last minute to be thrown in. I'm excited!

I live in Wisconsin in the path of this ugly snowstorm set to hit over the next 2 days. Warnings of high winds and power outages have me stressing out over my babies set to hatch for Easter...trying something new - quail and pheasants. At last candling, I had 20 that looked good. To have a power outage at this point when they only have a few days to go would be absolutely heartbreaking.
So my question to anyone...Any creative ways to keep heat in your bator if power goes out? I've got a small forced air hovobator. How long can the little guys make it if the temp drops a few degrees?

Last edited:
I live in Wisconsin in the path of this ugly snowstorm set to hit over the next 2 days. Warnings of high winds and power outages have me stressing out over my babies set to hatch for Easter...trying something new - quail and pheasants. At last candling, I had 20 that looked good. To have a power outage at this point when they only have a few days to go would be absolutely heartbreaking.
So my question to anyone...Any creative ways to keep heat in your bator if power goes out? I've got a small forced air hovobator. How long can the little guys make it if the temp drops a few degrees? Thanks!!
There's a lot of ways Sally sunshine has a great post somewhere on it. Maybe someone can link it. But hand warmers hot water bottles etc... The best possible think you can have is a generator. I know there expensive but it's saved me more then once.

I set on that Friday at noon. Should I wait and lockdown at the end or beginning of day 18? Hummmmm.

If the start I need to do it today. If not. Tomorrow.
1f61c.png
can't believe it's already lockdown time. Who's with me.
1f602.png
1f602.png

So my question to anyone...Any creative ways to keep heat in your bator if power goes out? I've got a small forced air hovobator. How long can the little guys make it if the temp drops a few degrees?

This link might help you.

HAVE A PLAN IN CASE YOU LOOSE ELECTRIC ITS THE SEASON! see post #522

I set on that Friday at noon. Should I wait and lockdown at the end or beginning of day 18? Hummmmm.

If the start I need to do it today. If not. Tomorrow.
1f61c.png
can't believe it's already lockdown time. Who's with me.
1f602.png
1f602.png
I was going to try and do it at noon, but I'll only be home really early and really late in the day.... So I have to decide which is more risky...Hmm... Go late, and risk the eggs pipping? (I have bantams in) Or lockdown early and risk drowning from too high humidity or idunnowhut?
gig.gif

I know it probably doesn't matter, but I still worry a tiny bit..... Just cuz I really, really want to get a good hatch rate out of the 11 still in the bator. So far, every single fertile egg I set looks perfect and I don't wanna mess it up!
fl.gif

-Banti

Going into lock down tomorrow. Anyone else? I'm a day earlier than the set date.

I am locking down tonight - it will actually be the middle of day 19 for me, I set on Friday morning. I did this last week and it worked perfectly - first pip on Wednesday evening, and first chick hatched on Thursday morning!
jumpy.gif
Looking forward to some different breeds in this hatch - Bielefelders, Jubilee Orps, Swedish Flower Hens, and some Polish Ameraucana crosses from my own flocks!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom