The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

12705751_10204181185649645_8437698432745258479_n.jpg
I will call her Breeze. As @GitaBooks suggested. She suggested that on a very breezy day. I had just been out there taking care of the chickens, and there she stood, with those ruffled curley feathers just blowing this way and that! I was just chuckling at her. I will call her Breeze, Breezy.. remember the tune for Cover Girl? Easy Breezy Cover Girl? Something like that. She's my little Cover Girl... She doesn't need the makeup though! ;)
That is so cute!

I just checked my hens and 2 young roosters (not mature yet and got picked on by older boys in rooster pin)... Guess what I find. The older of the 2 roosters being a guy!!...
1f605.png
opps

Well today was a good day. Candled and put my test hatch in lock down. I have 13 of 13 going into lock down. Hoping it goes good and I have new chicks by the end of the weekend. They are from my partridge rock hens with a roo that I'm not sure what he is. Also had the lone survivor of a fox attack from a batch of the same trio from about 6 months ago that started laying this week. It was a good day. The trio was actually part of my hatch from the 2014 easter hatch along.

Ugh finally caught up.. Today was stressful.. I woke up at 4:30 because my door in my room blew open. So I decided to check on Twizzler, so I felt and I could only find 1 so I looked everywhere under her, and I lifted up the flap that kept getting straw under it so it was lifting it up. Well guess what was under... An egg on day 16... It was cold... So I put it back under, and tried to sleep, but once it got light out I checked her and made sure they were BOTH under her, and then I proceeded to cut out the flap so it wouldn't happen again ( thinking that it was dead) so I eventually decided to candle it around 9 this morning to check, and sure enough IT WAS ALIVE!!! I was so happy, and I know God was watching us, because if that door didn't blow open I wouldn't have woken up until later, and that chick would be dead... Then we had to make the goat pen into a pig pen to move the big ones over... I had to stand out there so that the chickens wouldn't fly in, but they didn't, but tomorrow we have to put a door in which shouldn't take long. So how was everyone else's day?

:frow

:eek:   silkie!!!! 

:yesss:

:lau

:fl
GOOD NEWS!!!!  you already know this but here it is anyways just in case  
[COLOR=008080]How I do SHIPPED EGGS[/COLOR] post #53845

See if any of these help you out!

PURCHASING EGGS
[COLOR=FF0000]HOW I PERSONALLY SHIP EGGS AND THE REASONS BEHIND IT ALL[/COLOR]
Alettertoeggshippers.doc 30k .doc file
ShippingEggsTheSallySunshineWay.docx 175k .docx file
note these files are still a work in progress, thank you @Chaos18
for creating them post #40168
[COLOR=008080]How Sally Sunshine Incubates SHIPPED EGGS[/COLOR] post #53845
[COLOR=FF0000]REQUEST HOW YOU WANT YOUR eggs SHIPPED PEOPLE!!!! [/COLOR] post #1050
[COLOR=008080]DO you have to be NPIP certified to ship hatching eggs? States/Agencies Info see[/COLOR] post #33884
[COLOR=008080]BYC Links for EGGS[/COLOR]........
[COLOR=008080]LOCAL BYC THREADS in the Where am I? Where are you Section![/COLOR] click HERE
[COLOR=B22222][COLOR=008080]HATCHING EGGS FOR SALE/TRADE BYC[/COLOR] [/COLOR]https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/36/chicken-hatching-eggs

LOVEEEEE IT
Welcome!!!!  

Thanks! I've been thru most of those threads. Sad thing is, the breeds I'm looking for are either late getting going or very few people have them or sometihing. Sometimes I get exasperated with myself, WHY do I have to go for the rare, hard to raise and/or expensive birds Every. Single. Time?!? Lol

Good luck. I just got 4 new babies myself. 1 Americana 1 cuckoo Maran and 2 golden laces Wyandottes
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
husband wasn't happy but I am
1f61c.png
Thanks!
Lol, baby chicks are so cute
love.gif

EMU Egg update!

I weighed the eggs last week and they have all lost about 15% of their original weight. I had to use a different scale though as I think the first one I used was rounding the weights up to the nearest 50grams which is throwing everything off. I was able to calculate what the original weight of the eggs most likely was using a formula I found online.

In any case, the eggs are rolling along nicely. Sure wish I could candle them, but I'm fairly certain I have viable eggs. When I turn them now I notice that they try to rotate back to the position they were previously in. Based on experience with my chicken eggs, I believe this is because the growing embryo inside weights the egg as it settles which causes it to want to stay in the same position. So, I have to prop them up a little bit to keep them from rolling back. I take this as a good sign that all is well and I have baby Emus in all of my eggs! (just a theory..
smile.png
lol)

My younger son came in with some duck eggs a few days ago (we have three Rouen ducks, 1 drake and 2 hens) He asked if we could try and incubate the eggs so they are now in our spare incubator! Timing wise they won't hatch on Easter, but what the heck!

We had our chicken coop decimated the day after New Years. A dog got into the coop and gorged on our chickens. We lost all but two. Luckily the dog left the ducks alone and our beautiful Royal Palm turkey flew away to safety. It was a hard blow and the kids were super upset. So when my son asked to hatch a couple duck eggs, how could I say no??

On a sorta semi-sweet note, the night the dog killed our chickens I found one lone egg in the nesting boxes. I heated up the incubator and hatched the little sweetie. We are calling her "Legacy" in remembrance of our lost chickens. Not sure who her parents are, but she looks like our old EE roo and maybe the golden laced hen we had.
She's darn cute no matter what!
yippiechickie.gif

So that is the EMU egg update and a little more....
tongue.png

Thanks for the update! Sorry about your flock though
hugs.gif

Ugh finally caught up.. Today was stressful.. I woke up at 4:30 because my door in my room blew open. So I decided to check on Twizzler, so I felt and I could only find 1 so I looked everywhere under her, and I lifted up the flap that kept getting straw under it so it was lifting it up. Well guess what was under... An egg on day 16... It was cold... So I put it back under, and tried to sleep, but once it got light out I checked her and made sure they were BOTH under her, and then I proceeded to cut out the flap so it wouldn't happen again ( thinking that it was dead) so I eventually decided to candle it around 9 this morning to check, and sure enough IT WAS ALIVE!!! I was so happy, and I know God was watching us, because if that door didn't blow open I wouldn't have woken up until later, and that chick would be dead... Then we had to make the goat pen into a pig pen to move the big ones over... I had to stand out there so that the chickens wouldn't fly in, but they didn't, but tomorrow we have to put a door in which shouldn't take long. So how was everyone else's day?

I was bad and got new babies. That's my day.

:lau

Of course not!

That is why it is an old wives tale and not used by hatcheries.

Are you going to set sumatra eggs?

One of my girls is a Sumatra so I will be setting some of her eggs, the babies will only be 1/2 Sumatra. I have 3 different roosters in with my girls.

Back
Top Bottom