The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Here's an interesting photo..someone had a hen die, opened it up, and saved these and put them down in order to take the photo.
Oh that's cool. Many people don't know a hen generates about 2 weeks worth of eggs inside her. That's why you can get fertile eggs 2 weeks after removing a rooster and why it takes about the same to get fertile ones after adding one. Cool picture. Thanks.

I am fortunate to have 4 brooder pens set up. I use heating pad mama brooders so they are not in my house. I figured that out after the first batch was in my "Pig Room" that houses over 1000 pieces of collectibles. Imagine trying to dust all of that after having chicks in there for 6weeks+ never again! Only have a temporary holding tank in there now.

Gulp. Don't remind me of the dusting I have to do. Please
1f602.png
1f602.png
. I can't afford a brooder pad. I'm using heat lamps but OH MY THE DUST!!!
1f605.png
1f630.png
1f62d.png

Anyone have a few spare
1f61c.png
I'll take them off your hands
1f60a.png

Last edited:
Gulp. Don't remind me of the dusting I have to do. Please
1f602.png
1f602.png
. I can't afford a brooder pad. I'm using heat lamps but OH MY THE DUST!!!
1f605.png
1f630.png
1f62d.png

Anyone have a few spare
1f61c.png
I'll take them off your hands
1f60a.png

Only if you want to drive to Arizona
lol.png
(Seriously, though: I am going to have WAY TOO many. I'll have to try to sell them down here)

I finally caught up!! I set 23 eggs on Sunday evening. They were of unknown age but had decent air cells. This is my first time ever trying to hatch with an incubator so we will see how it goes. I have an lg 9200 still air and may have already ruined the hatch. The thermometer I put in went down too low and read 100, this morning I adjusted it so it was at the top of the eggs and it said 108... Are they done for?? I got the temp down to about 101 now.

Last edited:
Ok experts, what do I need to have on hand for my new chicks when they come home?  I will have 9-10 babies to deal with?

A safe warm, dry place to keep them (brooder). Heat lamp or brooder pad. Feed (chick starter) and water (electrolytes or Vitamins optional). Something to let them sleep on like paper towels or wood shavings.

Back
Top Bottom