The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

LOL
tongue.png
Well funny story... a friend of mine has been breeding them for a while. She bought greenfire lines and now sells eggs/chicks/etc. for a small fortune. She wanted to do an egg trade with me and lucky me they were her only birds running 100% fertility at the time!!
Woo Hoo!!
wee.gif

It's 2am and my chicken coop is in smolderes. Fire killed 16 3 week olds. I'm depressed now. NEVER PUT A HEATLAMP , even 1 with emergency shut off, in a coop.
Oh no!! I am so sorry for your loss, both the birds and coop,

In light of this tragic news I want to get rid of the heat lamp that is in the duck part of the brooder coop. They will not use the Mama heat pad like the chicks do so I put a lamp in. Now they are 5 weeks old and very tall, with downy feathers still. What should I use?? When can they be without a heat source?

Oh no!! I am so sorry for your loss, both the birds and coop,

In light of this tragic news I want to get rid of the heat lamp that is in the duck part of the brooder coop. They will not use the Mama heat pad like the chicks do so I put a lamp in. Now they are 5 weeks old and very tall, with downy feathers still. What should I use?? When can they be without a heat source?
I like the premier1 brooder plates. They adjust easily for height.

They can go outside when they are fully feathered--usually about 6 weeks old. It should be soon for you.

I like the premier1 brooder plates. They adjust easily for height.

They can go outside when they are fully feathered--usually about 6 weeks old. It should be soon for you.

I brood in these, in an un insulated coop. I cannot afford a premier 1 plate right now, or get one today, but it is definitely on my list of things to buy. I am having good success with the mama brooder caves for the chicks. I am going to try just putting the heating pad on the floor so they can lay on it for heat. They do not seem to be getting feathers, just look downy still. I am so used to chicks. These ducks are a big mystery for me. Thank you for the quick response!

I brood in these, in an un insulated coop. I cannot afford a premier 1 plate right now, or get one today, but it is definitely on my list of things to buy. I am having good success with the mama brooder caves for the chicks. I am going to try just putting the heating pad on the floor so they can lay on it for heat. They do not seem to be getting feathers, just look downy still. I am so used to chicks. These ducks are a big mystery for me. Thank you for the quick response!
Duckling!

love.gif
They are so cute!

I think they will be fine with what you have for the setup.

Back
Top Bottom