The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Also, day 28 is in 1 hour for my duck eggs and I don't have a single pip...
I quickly candled and 5/6 were moving but not even an internal pip yet. I'm afraid they are all malpositioned.

Have patience. Ducks can't read a calendar. :) Also, if your incubator was running a little cool, they would take longer to hatch.

Honestly as someone who has owned guineas I feel like ducks do a much better job with the bug control and they're a lot quieter...

I've heard ducks are really good at that especially runners! How do you think they compare to chickens though? Heard they're messy so not sure I wanna add them but also hear theyre fun hah

I've heard ducks are really good at that especially runners! How do you think they compare to chickens though? Heard they're messy so not sure I wanna add them but also hear theyre fun hah

I definitely feel like they do a better job than my chickens. They'll sometimes spend all day burrowing in the ground with their beaks and looking for bugs to eat. They are messy but only if they're in a small pen. If they can free range at least part of the day then they don't make much of a mess.

Last edited:
Here are some updated pictures of my chicks. They're all so cute and lively now.
smile.png

Susie with her four: Buttercream, Denali, Rory and Agent

Our little assisted chick, Jean. She is such a pretty silver color.

Goldie (Susie's sister) with her two chicks. You can only see Rip.

She wouldn't sit still, but here is Jean dried off.

Princess's chicks. The black and white one is Coulsen and the one in the middle is Roshashannah

I definitely feel like they do a better job than my chickens. They'll sometimes spend all day burrowing in the ground with their beaks and looking for bugs to eat. They are messy but only if they're in a small pen. If they can free range at least part of the day then they don't make much of a mess.

That makes sense! Thanks! I'd have to let them out then

Here are some updated pictures of my chicks. They're all so cute and lively now.
smile.png

Susie with her four: Buttercream, Denali, Rory and Agent

Our little assisted chick, Jean. She is such a pretty silver color.

Goldie (Susie's sister) with her two chicks. You can only see Rip.

She wouldn't sit still, but here is Jean dried off.

Princess's chicks. The black and white one is Coulsen and the one in the middle is Roshashannah

Such cuties. I have a black and white spotted pullet. She is a leghorn mix. Can't wait for her to start laying.
You have some cute babies there. Good job on assisting!

Back
Top Bottom