The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

If you learn to listen to the pitch of their cries you will know the difference between their usual noise and when they scream hysterically about real danger. The group of five I had warned me of dogs harassing my sheep and I ran home from the neighbors house in time to run them off and no one was injured. Except me. Because my Shetland ram was p!$$3d that I had failed to keep the fence secure and they had gotten through. I was walking with my DH to the spot where I saw the dogs go under the fence when I here rapid footfalls and BAM! My ram hits me in the butt and sends me flying about 8 feet. I did manage to have enough grace to land on my feet. Then he followed me around BAAAAing at me for twenty minutes. I figured the translation went something like this: "You let DOGS through the fence! Who do you think I am SUPERRAM!? There were FIVE DOGS! FIVE! And it was just ME standing between the girls and those DOGS! FIVE DOGS!

I can totally hear this conversation!

But if you have a built in alarm for theft and fire. And if you only get boys they group is not as loud. The girls are the big screechers. They start it and then the boys chime in. After I lost my last female (because she kept following the dog around screeching at her and she ate her) the three remaining boys were much quieter by half.

"She ate her" ha ha

Didn't mean to quote your post chickendreams. Meant to quote deathen. Sorry just woke up.

You people have me cracking up this morning! My partner at work must think I'm crazy... (well Maybe now it's just confirmed) lol

Last edited:
If you learn to listen to the pitch of their cries you will know the difference between their usual noise and when they scream hysterically about real danger. The group of five I had warned me of dogs harassing my sheep and I ran home from the neighbors house in time to run them off and no one was injured. Except me. Because my Shetland ram was p!$$3d that I had failed to keep the fence secure and they had gotten through. I was walking with my DH to the spot where I saw the dogs go under the fence when I here rapid footfalls and BAM! My ram hits me in the butt and sends me flying about 8 feet. I did manage to have enough grace to land on my feet. Then he followed me around BAAAAing at me for twenty minutes. I figured the translation went something like this: "You let DOGS through the fence! Who do you think I am SUPERRAM!? There were FIVE DOGS! FIVE! And it was just ME standing between the girls and those DOGS! FIVE DOGS!
Ouch!

I been on high alert all weekend. Since the hawk took one of my girls. Haven't seen him back yet. So hopefully I scared him off good. Will see I guess. But happy Sunday mourning to all. I'm drinking coffee and gonna go out and keep an eye on the girls.

I'm jealous of all of you people with guineas. I think they're totally neat, including the noises they make. But I only have about an acre and my neighbors houses are practically on top of mine, so I guess I have to draw the line at chickens and turkeys.

My first shipped eggs have me crazy upset and I'm not sure if I should be upset with the post office or my incubator. On day 14, eight of the original 24 were still going strong. Last night was the day 18 mark so they went into lockdown. I candled them and now I'm down to 4 out of those 8. Four more just quit on me in the last four days, and I don't even know why. The quality of the air cell wouldn't affect them until they go to hatch, right? So I doubt it was because they were scrambled when I got them. And although my incubator and set up is less than perfect (The incubator only reads whole numbers, and I have two digital thermometers but they're both off and I don't know how to calibrate the one since the probe is open to read humidity), nothing had changed since I candled them on day 14. Still roughly between 99 and 100 degrees, and 35-40% humidity. So I'm not sure what to think. And now that it's lockdown, I can't get the humidity right. I stuck in a much bigger container of water and humidity jumped to 81%. I traded that out for a butter dish, settled at 79%. Traded that out for a pint-sized canning jar and... went back up to 83%. So now I've been shuffling around trying to find something deep yet narrower than a pint jar. I've seen some people say they have humidity higher than the recommended 60-70% during lockdown but I can't imagine 80% is any good.

I haven't been on BYC much the last few days so there are WAY too many posts to catch up on, but wanted to say that I have 3 pairs of pigeons each sitting on an egg! Of course they laid them too late for the H-A-L
roll.png
but figured I'd mention it anyway. One of the eggs is from Ratty's parents so looks like I might have a Rattytwoie!
tongue.png

@Pensmaster
Very cool! Tell them to get their timing right next year.

She was warning me to avoid kids and my pets as much as I could
1f605.png
Yeah, right.

Only 1 survivor out of about 16 that got shrink-wrapped. Even NN are cute as babies
wink.png
I'm sorry you lost so many, but at least you got 1 chick. What happened with your humidity during lockdown?

What causes the air cell to be on the side of the egg? And will it hatch? Thanks!
I'm not sure what causes it, other than shipping can move the air cell, but I have had some not shipped with air cell's on the side of the egg. They can hatch fine, but they should be laid on their side for hatching.

Quote:
goodpost.gif

Hey guys. I know this is WAY off forum but does anyone have any medical knowledge? If yes please pm me. My mom if freaking out and I'm not far behind her. Thanks

Now. Back on topic. The disaster area is cleaned up, a fresh layer of hay has been put down and mixed around to try to minimize the smokey after smell and pallets and wood started flooding into my yard from people we never expected. And some we did. No building done yet but a solid start on the supplies to rebuild.

Pray I'm feeling better tomorrow and we can try to start building.
1f60a.png
fl.gif
I hope you are ok!

My 4 new babies. BBS English Orpingtons. I guess they feel safer inside their feeding tub
hmm.png
love.gif

Just finished candling. 35 out of 38 still going. At day 7 I thought only 34 making it. One of the duds is definitely alive. Also one egg I chipped the top off of accidentally is still growing. I put Nu Skin on the missing shell part.

Noticing that the area I add water at the eggs are losing less weight even with all the fans I have in there. Going to chart the weight loss to be sure.

highfive.gif

Day 14 candling...pulled two more that were definitely clear. Started with 42 & have pulled 3 clears & 1 blood ring. Down to 38...A couple others I think are really questionable but since they ARE questionable, I left them in for now.

Air cells looking pretty good except for two or 3 wonky ones that are still saddle shaped.
1f601.png
Saw LOTS of tiny dancers in there!!

Here's a little pic of one of my exchequer eggs...all 6 of them look awesome!

clap.gif

I'm on day twelve what would the clear ones look like I can't tell:confused:

I been on high alert all weekend. Since the hawk took one of my girls. Haven't seen him back yet. So hopefully I scared him off good. Will see I guess. But happy Sunday mourning to all. I'm drinking coffee and gonna go out and keep an eye on the girls.
oh no! that stinks!! praying he never comes back!

Back
Top Bottom