The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Not sure if this thread is the place for this..

I am getting ready to build a hatcher out of a wine cooler. I don't like hatching in my Sportsman because it's hard to see into the hatching tray, and I am worried about the humidity being raised and lowered so much during staggered hatches. I have looked at multiple threads and videos etc., but cannot find where anyone has used the IncuKit XL from incubator warehouse. It seems very simple and perfect for my needs. I am not sure if I need the one unit or two though? The cabinet is the size of a mini fridge. Also how many air holes for ventilation?

Found another egg!! Color's pretty washed out in the pictures but it's light brown like the store ones. Well maybe a bit lighter. Can't believe there's another already! They're both tiny LOL they'll get bigger though, it's cause they're just starting. Still exciting though.

Awww!! Congrats! First eggs are very exciting!

I love my Guineas. I have 11 now. And yes there loud. But if you live on a lot of land like I do. You really don't even notice them. Or maybe you just get used to it. Either way iv only lost one of my free range birds to a preadotor. And that was just two days ago to a hawk. Usually the Guinea let everyone know there's danger. And they don't let them know quietly. Another thing you have to take in account is Guinea will travel far free ranging. Where ever they want and they can fly pretty darn good. Some days they stay around my house and runs and others I have know idea where they are. I have once seen then gang chase a neighbors dog off my property. Also I have two roosters one is dominate they have never messed with him or the hens. But iv seen them chase the less dominate rooster all over the yard. I'm not sure why they only go after him at times. But I don't mind seeing his days are numbered cause he has some aggression. Guinea can be great in the right environment. But if you just have a couple acres they may not be for you.
Didn't mean to quote your post chickendreams. Meant to quote deathen. Sorry just woke up.
No problem we would like guineas someday. I want some if the rarer colors. So I like to hear about them too. :)
It's day 15 actually. I'm leaning towards removing them. I just really want chicks from the hen that laid these eggs, and I keep thinking, what if I'm wrong? What if they aren't dead? I'm pretty certain they are, though, so I might as well just pull them out. If they don't explode, could they be a danger to the other eggs that are still doing well?
I would leave them in until lockdown. We currently have two silkie eggs that I think may have quit a day or two ago but we will recandle them before lockdown and decide then via candling and sniff test. Until then I'm just checking once a day by silniffing the bator.
I could fill your pond though... with lots of pretty colors... :D ;) If you want to try it, and can get to Franklin, I can send some with my OH for you when he goes to work...
;) I'll be there tomorrow! Lol really though I would love some calls. Can they live in a mixed duck flock? I would love to add a couple next year when we get ducks. At least that's the plan.
My poor Lucky has a busted leg. He really will be lucky if he makes it. Must've busted under the egg turner (hatcher broke and had to transfer the hatching chicks to the main incubator in a hurry). I might try 6 more NN eggs; I have had them in the fridge for a week but I cracked one open today and it was fertile, so it doesn't hurt anything to try. If even 1 hatches I'll feel better about losing so many to my stupid planning.
Oh goodness! Poor little Lucky is having quite the rough start. I would also think something stronger would be better for a splint. Wishing him well. Please let us know how he does.

Ok, Day 14 pics of my three growing babies with wonky air cells. Any advice on humidity or anything. Not a lot of change in the air cells in last 4 days except the one moving air cell grew some. Hoping for all three
1f423.png
!!!

Ok, Day 14 pics of my three growing babies with wonky air cells. Any advice on humidity or anything. Not a lot of change in the air cells in last 4 days except the one moving air cell grew some. Hoping for all three
1f423.png
!!!

Actually with these being large eggs, they have a pretty good chance with those air cells. You want to keep the humidity where ever you usually have it.

I am getting ready to build a hatcher out of a wine cooler. I don't like hatching in my Sportsman because it's hard to see into the hatching tray, and I am worried about the humidity being raised and lowered so much during staggered hatches. I have looked at multiple threads and videos etc., but cannot find where anyone has used the IncuKit XL from incubator warehouse. It seems very simple and perfect for my needs. I am not sure if I need the one unit or two though? The cabinet is the size of a mini fridge. Also how many air holes for ventilation?

*I think* I heard 1 unit would work for that size... if it was a bit bigger cabinet, then you might need 2... I'm trying to remember who it was that used the XL... :/

No problem we would like guineas someday. I want some if the rarer colors. So I like to hear about them too. :)
I would leave them in until lockdown. We currently have two silkie eggs that I think may have quit a day or two ago but we will recandle them before lockdown and decide then via candling and sniff test. Until then I'm just checking once a day by silniffing the bator.
;) I'll be there tomorrow! Lol really though I would love some calls. Can they live in a mixed duck flock? I would love to add a couple next year when we get ducks. At least that's the plan.
Oh goodness! Poor little Lucky is having quite the rough start. I would also think something stronger would be better for a splint. Wishing him well. Please let us know how he does.

If the other ducks grow up with them and they aren't heavy breed ducks, yes... but if you want a drake, I would only keep a Call drake... Calls are much, much smaller than other breeds... some say not to mix the flock, but some have had success... mostly, if they have plenty of room or free range, it should be fine... word of caution though... Calls are EXTREMELY great fliers... and they will fly if the pen is not covered or wings aren't clipped... plus, they are perfect snack size for predators... other than that (excluding the amount of noise the girls can make) they're great!!! :D ;)

Last edited:

I think someone on incubating with friends just did one out of a mini fridge so they might have an idea.

Back
Top Bottom