The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

News flash...... One external PIP!!!!
wee.gif
Congrats!!! Would that be the first pip for this HAL?
clap.gif

Congrats!!! Would that be the first pip for this HAL?
:clap

Dunno; would be cool if it was! It is only day 18, so I am sorta surprised..... Humidity is only at 47%, I just put in a dish of water with papertowel in it in an attempt to boost it quickly. :fl

A bit unrelated to the HAL but... if you're collecting fertile eggs to incubate and you won't be incubating them for at least several days, do you have to turn those eggs? My two turkey hens are laying and I'd like to collect several days worth of eggs before setting them. I'm collecting them in an egg carton in the coolest room of my house, but I'm wondering if I should tilt the carton back and forth or put them in a turner or something.

A bit unrelated to the HAL but... if you're collecting fertile eggs to incubate and you won't be incubating them for at least several days, do you have to turn those eggs? My two turkey hens are laying and I'd like to collect several days worth of eggs before setting them. I'm collecting them in an egg carton in the coolest room of my house, but I'm wondering if I should tilt the carton back and forth or put them in a turner or something.
Idealy, you want them at about 55-68 F. with 75% humidity in a caton big end up. The carton should be tilted 45 degrees and the eggs should be turned one or so times a day.

Some use a spare egg turner for storing hatching eggs.

This pdf has information on flock health, collecting and storing and shipping hatching eggs. It is from the 3rd Annual Hatch-a-long:

Yes you should turn them. If you turn them when you get up and just before bed that should do the trick.

What a nail-biter of a day! At work, hubby at work. Turkey eggs on day 28. 6 of 8 left, 2 of those with very low saddle air cells. Since they are "babies", I say this qualifies a short day/FMLA, right? (=

Back
Top Bottom