The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I've got a external pip!
wee.gif

A little off topic but my secondary EE roo was found dead:( No sign of injury or illness. I'm down to one EE roo for 15 hens, as my CL roo has his own pen now. He was the only bird I had from my moms flock:(

So.. I want to see if any of the chicks that hatch for this HAL might be his. He was black barred with tons of red & gold leakage, full on beard / fluffy face. The kids called him the pretty one, so much flashier than the rest of our chickens. Is barring dominant? Can barring be identified at hatch? I think the barring would be the 1st clue if he fathered any. Any tips on identifying any of his chicks? Thanks

Sorry to hear about your rooster! If he had 2 copies of the barring gene, all his offspring g will be barred. If he only had 1 copy (which is more likely since he's an EE), only half of his offspring will be barred. Chicks with barring will be identifiable at hatch by a white spot on top of the head as long as the down color is dark enough to for it to be visible.

I'm a little bummed. Today is day 21. It's progressing with no pips, no peeps, no rocking, no nothing. I have 6 eggs in. Two were questionable at lockdown and four were alive and moving. I don't have any stinky odors, and humidity and temp are good. So I'm hoping they are late hatchers...just doesn't seem believable that all of them would be late hatchery. This is my first hatch.

Back
Top Bottom