The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I am a little confused about my days.
I set late around 9pm Sunday march 6. So today would be day 18 until 9 pm? Then at 9 pm its day 19?
If you set at 9, then you start on the 7th.

Using this link: http://homesteadapps.com/app/free/hatchchart/hatchturnsche.php

Plug in the start date and it will give you a schedule of the day. On that chart, putting in 3-7-2016, today is day 19. Tonight at 9 would be day 20.

Another way to look at it, within a month, if you start on a Friday, the chicks will hatch in three weeks on the Friday--on average. Some hatch early and some hatch late.

Use the chart! You will do much better with dates using it.

Also, Ignore those that tell you that the chart is wrong. I heard the results of a study recently that said 50% or us are bad at math.

First baby!!! Yellow with some Balck spots on her head. so cute!

Adorable! I see quite a few pips too! Make sure the chick doesn't get smooshed by the other eggs though.
[COLOR=008080]I just took a chance and quickly opened the door to help the little guy (ahem, GIRL)[/COLOR];) [COLOR=008080]since it was still having trouble getting totally out of its shell. The main problem was that it had managed to wedge its top shell partly down inside the bottom one, keeping it from easily climbing out due to the eggs on either side of it! A quick tug, and it was free! Splashed a little more warm water on the papertowels to get the humidity back up (which worked nicely). I think it looks much happier now, don't you?[/COLOR]:love
Yes, very much so.
I have chicks out now..lots of pips. Wonder what's up with a lot of us having early hatches. Oh well, they look good.
Better than late hatches.
A little off topic but my secondary EE roo was found dead:( No sign of injury or illness. I'm down to one EE roo for 15 hens, as my CL roo has his own pen now. He was the only bird I had from my moms flock:( So.. I want to see if any of the chicks that hatch for this HAL might be his. He was black barred with tons of red & gold leakage, full on beard / fluffy face. The kids called him the pretty one, so much flashier than the rest of our chickens. Is barring dominant? Can barring be identified at hatch? I think the barring would be the 1st clue if he fathered any. Any tips on identifying any of his chicks? Thanks
I see you got your answer on this. So sorry you lost him.
Ugh, thanks to the rain I had to pull the chicks out of the bator. Windows were fogged up so bad I couldn't even see through them. I had a plastic storage box with a top sitting around, so I'm using that for now. I'll probably cut the middle off the top and add some hardware cloth after it stops raining. For now it's only covering half the top to help keep warmth in.
Good job!
Any clue what breed chick this is?
How many toes? Possibly dark brahma.
Ok guys. My latest hatch has something going on with its legs. No splayed from what I can find via pictures but he can't get them under him. They bend and all he just keeps falling onto his butt. Just still real weak? Splayed legs? Idk. I'll watch him close.
It takes a couple of days for them to get the strength to stand. Give it some time to rest from hatching. If you had to hatch from an egg using only a tooth, you'd be tired too.
1f606.png
[COLOR=008080]Ok, I might have a problem with one of the Bielefelder eggs...[/COLOR] :/ [COLOR=008080]I was looking around at the hatching tray for more pips - I have 3 chicks hatched now BTW, another Wheaten & a Silkie![/COLOR]:D [COLOR=008080] Anyway, I suddenly noticed this yellow/brown wet spot near the back corner of the incubator! It was under a couple of Bielefelder eggs! I suspected that one of them had pipped on the underside of the egg, and must be leaking - possibly pipped through the yolk sac?[/COLOR]:idunno [COLOR=008080] I decided to find out for sure and grabbed the 3 hatched chicks out in the process and put them under the heat plate in the brooder. I picked up the suspect egg and yep, there was a good size pip hole that looked wet and yellow/brown.[/COLOR]:( [COLOR=008080] I turned the egg over and placed it where I could keep an eye on it. I don't know for sure, but I think I saw movement at the pip hole after I turned it over...[/COLOR] :fl [COLOR=008080] I hope it isn't drowned, or worse... Should I take it out and try and help any more or just leave it for now?[/COLOR] :confused: [COLOR=008080] [/COLOR] [COLOR=008080]Here is a picture of the wet spot in the back and the egg - it is the brown one with the hole down by the lower metal bar in the pic - the one with a bit of poo toward the bottom of the egg.[/COLOR]
No idea how long it's been like that? If the membrane is brown, it is likely stuck. You can carefully help, but if the chick punctured the yolk sac, it may not make it.
For everyone saying they have internal pips, how do you know without candleing? Also, I had a Silkie with a too large Air sac on day 18. I have the humidity at 70. Wondering if that is high enough. My eggs aren't moving or doing anything. I know it's only day 19 but I'm nervous!!!!!
You can hear them cheeping. If you have your eggs in cartons, it's harder to see then wiggle.
Sumi posted this on the Quotes and Thoughts thread, and I thought it might be appropriate for some of you:
LL
That's funny!

@Happy Chooks , it has the normal 4 toes. We ordered some Buff Cochins, and at first I thought it was one of those (altho much much darker) until I realized (had a brainfart!) we only ordered 4 Buff's and this would make 5. THEN I remembered they always give you an extra chick (well in this case they ended up giving us 3 extras!)

Thanks!!!

Thanks to everyone who's congratulated me on my hatch. I really appreciate the kind words. Those Orust shipped eggs had me stressed for 3 weeks. But it turned out great and I couldn't be happier. And I want to give a big Congratulations to everyone who has pips and new baby's. And wish everyone luck who's still waiting patiently for there baby's to hatch. Good luck all!!!!

They are beautiful. I'm so glad you had a successful hatch!

Oh and I'm really worried about my eggs just sitting in the incubator... this is the first time I just sat them on the wire for hatching and it's really easy for them to roll. It's not like i can open the incubator at this point...:barnie I'm scared one egg will hatch and roll all of the other eggs, What should I do? Should I be worried? Do you all just put the eggs on the wire? 

They will be fine, relax and breathe.

@Happy Chooks
, it has the normal 4 toes.  We ordered some Buff Cochins, and at first I thought it was one of those (altho much much darker) until I realized (had a brainfart!) we only ordered 4 Buff's and this would make 5. THEN I remembered they always give you an extra chick (well in this case they ended up giving us 3 extras!) 

Thanks!!!

I can't see the comb. If it has a single comb, then it would be a Cochin. If it has a pea comb, then a brahma. (Assuming it's pure and not a mix)

Last edited:
I can't see the comb. If it has a single comb, then it would be a Cochin. If it has a pea comb, then a brahma. (Assuming it's pure and not a mix)
Okay, thanks so much! I will look when I get home. (It better be pure bred, we got it from Murray McMurray hatchery lol) If it was from my flock, it would be mixed :D We specialize in mixed! ha ha ha

Back
Top Bottom