The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Have been busy but wanted to pop in and give a quick update. 34 of my 37 backyard mixes went into lockdown wed night. Woke up this morning and had the first external pip. Hoping to have more this afternoon. Don't have time to try and read back missed post but hope everyone's hatch is going well.

Nathan!!!
frow.gif

CHICKS Wet? Sticky? Stuck? I wrote this when discussing some things about call ducks this mornin... sharing here.

There are two types of sticky chicks

Sticky embryos, BIG Wet, or Mushy Chicks (embryos may be smeared with egg contents / yolk residual present) (yellow jelly/jello or other fluids) HOWEVER, a green and gray tinted fluid can be caused from osteomylitis or meconium)
causes: any/all combination of the following:

high average incubation humidity
low incubation temperature
lack of sufficient ventilation
too many drafts of outside air in the hatcher
BREED ISSUES: Always avoid cross breeding in breeds that carry lethal genes.
are we aware of Lethal genes for this breed of duck Rav?

Quote:

LL

Embryos sticking or adhering to shell
causes: in any/all combination of the following:
Low incubation humidity (especially during hatching)
Excessive ventilation~ reduce rate but maintain minimum air exchange to prevent suffocation of embryos.

To confuse you a bit more, the amount of water that a chick has in its own tissues (not the albumen) has been shown to increase during incubation under perfect conditions; however, rate of egg water loss is found to have no effect on embryonic water, how could this be if we get big wet chicks from high humidity? Makes you think outside the box, perhaps it is in fact LOW TEMPS not the hearsay on humidity? Although AGAIN combination is usually the factor.

TEMPERATURE: Incubation temperature is one the most critical factors during embryo development, AGAIN studies have shown the optimum temperature is more 99.9. NOT FORGETTING that also its optimal to drop in temps during hatch, as I suggest in my article Hatching Eggs 101 in the lower day 18 section. So it may be worth a shot for you, and I am not clear on your temps or calibration, Hammond found that a bit higher incubation temps increase chick initial body weight believe it or not, at the higher temp 99.9 the higher the rate of egg water loss in the first 16 days of incubation. What I have found is when I incubate at a slightly elevated temp 100.5 calibrated I have much cleaner hatches. They found that its the opposite with low temps, body weight of chicks were less. Then you get into the additional factors of adding low high temps with humidity and ventilation.... Best we can do is work these areas to achieve absolute and relative weights. IN KNOWING THAT and then factor in that EACH EGG & breeds are different in age, air cell size, genetics etc.

I run at 100.5 calibrated spot on temps, rotating eggs n the bator often.

Researchers have found that lowering temperatures will prolong incubation,
HOWEVER it is favorable to do so at the end of incubation.

Day 19 & 20 Temp Min 98.0 Max 98.5
Day 21 Temp Min 97 Max 98.0

for more information please refer here:
PAGE 42

http://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guide_english__030374800_0945_07012015.pdf

This is what am EGG from a good chick hatch looks like! your goal post #14673

Empty shells -
a valuable source of information click HERE

The Cuticle removal in hatching eggs as a means to reduce weight loss: Has actually been found to increase embryo weight during incubation and has direct relationship between rate of egg water loss, embryonic metabolism, and growth during incubation. But that warning of contamination is there if you dont follow cleaning procedures correctly. Chlorine treated eggs were not altered either. So with all that it is found that cuticle removal can be an effective method for increasing growth and egg weight loss.

Whew! I have had a busy night!
th.gif
Literally up every couple of hours to more chicks screaming as they hatched! I think at least a dozen hatched overnight - I had moved the first 7 to the brooder before bed time. Up to 27 chicks out right now, including 1 Swedish Flower Hen, 7 Jubilee Orpingtons, and 4 Bielefelders!
celebrate.gif
Two more Bielefelders are pipped, and 1 more Swedish Flower Hen. Out of the 10 eggs left to hatch - 4 of them are pipped, possibly a 5th. Here a few pictures I snapped so far...

First, here are the 4 Silkies that hatched from this tray (the 5th & last egg was just rocking though, so may have a later one)...

And here are the first 3 Bielefelders - 2 boys & 1 girl... but the fourth one looks like another girl!
yesss.gif

The Swedish Flower Hen - beautiful shade of dark brown!
love.gif

And these contrasting chicks are actually full siblings! Their mother is my Black Polish/Sultan hen, and their father is my Wheaten Ameraucana! One looks like a poofy headed, 5 toed Wheaten, and the other is a 4 toed less poofy version of its mother!
lol.png

7 external peeps and lots of sporadic cheeping!! Day 29 doesn't start until around 11pm...talk about anticipation!! And I have to go to my sons Easter party at school and then meet a couple people at the farm who are picking up puppies this weekend...don't...want to...leave...incubator!!! ACK!!!

AND we've got a church Easter party/egg hunt for the kids tonight!!! This is killing me!!?
1f62c.png
1f62c.png
1f62c.png
1f62c.png

(Second brooder is set up and ready to go though now - WOOT!)
What are you hatching, or is day 29 a typo? Congratulations!

Here's mama
Cute!

Have been busy but wanted to pop in and give a quick update. 34 of my 37 backyard mixes went into lockdown wed night. Woke up this morning and had the first external pip. Hoping to have more this afternoon. Don't have time to try and read back missed post but hope everyone's hatch is going well.
Come on chickies!
jumpy.gif

Quick check in... Mine went into lockdown last night due to start hatching Easter. I had 1 blood ring- tossed that, 3 clears for the Jubilee Orps, and another tossed. The 3 OEs were to dark to see through even with a 250 lumen flashlight with Cree reflector. The beilefelders, ameracaunas and CLs all had some development of sorts at day 9. So 15 went into lockdown out of 18 and at least 3 were likely a no go but worth trying to see what happens- Especially since I am not the one with the incubator, I just went with my experienced friend said. :) So 9 out of 18 have the possibility of hatching?? Wait and see...
Good Luck!
fl.gif

Whew! I have had a busy night!
th.gif
Literally up every couple of hours to more chicks screaming as they hatched! I think at least a dozen hatched overnight - I had moved the first 7 to the brooder before bed time. Up to 27 chicks out right now, including 1 Swedish Flower Hen, 7 Jubilee Orpingtons, and 4 Bielefelders!
celebrate.gif
Two more Bielefelders are pipped, and 1 more Swedish Flower Hen. Out of the 10 eggs left to hatch - 4 of them are pipped, possibly a 5th. Here a few pictures I snapped so far...

First, here are the 4 Silkies that hatched from this tray (the 5th & last egg was just rocking though, so may have a later one)...

And here are the first 3 Bielefelders - 2 boys & 1 girl... but the fourth one looks like another girl!
yesss.gif

The Swedish Flower Hen - beautiful shade of dark brown!
love.gif

And these contrasting chicks are actually full siblings! Their mother is my Black Polish/Sultan hen, and their father is my Wheaten Ameraucana! One looks like a poofy headed, 5 toed Wheaten, and the other is a 4 toed less poofy version of its mother!
lol.png

That does sound like a busy and exciting night! Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom