The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

I'm sneaky! :plbb I look through my moms messages and I'm pretty sure she is getting this incubator!
My mom would ground me for life if I snuck on her messages...Sneaky twerp. ;) I hope you know how lucky you are to have parents who pay for your feed and incubators, and all that. I have to pay my own, and I don't have a job, but I still make some money, but if and when the money runs out, there go my chickens.

Well, it doesn't look like I'll be hatching my own chicks for this hatch along. I had a customer order two dozen chicks, and customers first, so I'll be setting their pure breed Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, and Austra-Whites for this one. The nice thing about paying for your chickens, is you get to keep the money you make!

Before I forget, please add me to the Hatch-Along list. I am not sure what I will be hatching, but I am sure I'll find something to add to the incubator at the appropriate time.
big_smile.png

Well, it doesn't look like I'll be hatching my own chicks for this hatch along. I had a customer order two dozen chicks, and customers first, so I'll be setting their pure breed Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, and Austra-Whites for this one. The nice thing about paying for your chickens, is you get to keep the money you make!

Good for you! Learning how to work for what you get. That's a great thing!

:frow Hi Mary! How is Cupcake?
May I ask who Cupcake is?
That blue egg in the last carton is beautiful! Do you know what layed it and what it is? I hope it hatches for you.
not sure..these are just barnyard mixes..some being EE'S.
Oh I just so love love love that blue egg too bad you can't find out the hen that layed it and her parentage. Hope you get some Hatchers.
Hi guys Bad bad day here. Just terrible and I can't stop crying. We moved the 8 baby quail from our test hatch out to the brooder in the coop. This morning we discovered that the power tripped out in the coop(something that hasn't happened in like 8 months) probably because of the rain but we don't really know why. All 8 baby quail were dead when we found them.
1f62d.png
I feel just terrible and I know DH2B does too. We've never had that happen and unfortunately in spite of it being quite warm out today for the time of year and all other precautions they were gone. I'm just devastated and I can't stop crying. We will brood in the porch from now on at least until summer but probably always for quail and probably always a couple of weeks for chicks. This is so heartbreaking. We have more quail hatching in two weeks and they will be brooded in the porch for sure.
oh..I am so very sorry for your loss!!
That is so sad!
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby quail. :hugs
I'm so sorry. Sad reminder that even with all of our modern conveniences, nature is still in control.
X2. So sorry, @chickendreams24! Poor babies!
We had that happen out in our breeding quail cages but thankfully they made it through the night even in a heavy snow storm. I'm so sorry for your loss! *huggles*
1f495.png
We don't have an official "Baby Barn" yet so we transformed one of our spare rooms into a temporary one. With temperatures in the low teens we have no choice but to take this route and deal until we have a safe and stable structure with solid power outside. I hope your next batch makes it!
1f91e-1f3fb.png
Sincerely, Your Fellow Homesteader, Glaseria
1f495.png
1f43e.png
1f54a.png
Hi all I just wanted to tell you allow grateful I am for your kindnesses. Your sympathy and support without judgement mean the world to me. I'm sure some people would say that we should have known and blame us. Truthfully it's hard for me not to. But we had no clue. I just have to keep telling myself that and thinking that those chicks must be with my OEGB roo Mickey that we lost and several others. May they nestle in the arms of God and never feel the cold again until the day I can snuggle them again and tell them I love them. It's so hard them having such short lives and being so sweet and loved. Their deaths were senseless just a stupid thing that happened. I miss them and I love them gosh I loved those tiny little things! :( Through my tears this morning I begged DH2B to bring them back to wake them up. I'm sure I was in a bit of shock of course I knew they were gone but I needed hope. Unfortunately the only hope to be had was in the 5 pips in the bator. It's hard I think I'll hurt a long time over this one. We've always been so careful and DH2B calls me paranoid often. Today he didn't call me paranoid once as I obsessively checked the incubator and the flock. It doesn't undo the loss and the hurt but today the bantam eggs hatched from the same set day as the group of quail. 4/7 alive and well, 1/7 DIS at lockdown but I left it just in case. 1 other died after pipping a vein it appears. Will eggtopsy tomorrow. It's way too late and I didn't have the heart. Little number seven got stuck in the egg and required some help. We were out to dinner with my Mom who wanted to cheer me up. I love my Mom and I appreciate it so much. I'm just glad she understands especially as she was supposed to come over to see the baby quail this morning. Back to little number 7. It had been 24 hours since it did anything and had made two pips vertically in the egg. Membrane dried to it's face and it couldn't turn or zip so I had to remove that carefully with a damp qtip. I wrapped it in warm wet paper towels and left it in the incubator for two hours. I thought I may have seen some tiny veins left. Perhaps BC of the day I had I couldn't get it out of my mind and kept going back. Afraid I would lose it. Finally I decided to just look a bit more and pulled the chick from the egg as it seemed to be ready by that point. It was a little early and there were some itty bitty veins left in the bottom of the egg and it's navel was a little open. The baby is now resting in the bator back in warm wet paper towels. Hopefully the navel closes well tonight while the chick sleeps. Ugh I feel like a failure today. Still I know that chick would have died for sure if I hadn't intervened for no other reason than a bit of dried blood which turned the membrane to glue. Which I discovered was due to that chick pipping a small vein as I could clearly see it. Thankfully it was very minor. So minor we didn't see it at all earlier before the assist. Fingers crossed for the chick. For all of them. The brooder will be brought into the porch for them in the morning set up and prewarmed. They will be moved after I'm sure little number 7 (or 5 whatever you want to call it) is okay. Hoping for some pure OEGB and a little Mickey chick. Regardless it will be fun to see what everyone turns out like. Thank you all again for the kindness and support. Today has been a roller coaster of emotions and I'm still rather shocked. I feel joy for the new life agony over the loss and both fear and hope for the new babies. Now I must try to turn off my mind and sleep. If I can. Hope I didn't forget to say anything.
Hi, Walli! :frow She is doing, and looking, as good as ever! Wasn't she an Easter Hatchalong chick? This was taken Feb. 21:
Oh hello Cupcake :) is she a cream legbar mix? She's beautiful.

She is an Icelandic hen that KYtinpusher hatched from shipped eggs. She decided to go with different breeds and pm'd me to see if I wanted the four pullets she had. I have two sons that live in KY and picked the girls up on a visit. Her daughter had handled Cupcake and she is the friendliest hen here
love.gif
.....and the only one without an Icelandic name.
She has been broody each year and is a great momma.

Lol I set 11 turkey eggs into lockdown yesterday for Thursday hatch and during candle I'm pretty sure I saw an internal pip. Go down to check the hatcher and there it is, a poult staring back at me and another one pipped. 2 days early!

We NEED PICTURES of the baby turkey!!!!

Omg. I seriously may start crying tears of joy right now.

The (very likely the only possible hatcher) emu egg has been worrying me, because it hasn't moved in a couple weeks.... WELL EGG C JUST MOVED AND I SWEAR I COULD HAVE A FREAKING PARTY RIGHT NOW!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
:weee

Trying not to get any hopes up, but hatch is only 8-18 days away and I'm feeling it! :

Sorry for that spaz of late-night excitement. Lol!

fl.gif
Yass baby dino is moving!
wee.gif
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom