The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Started a test hatch on 3-8, had to make an unscheduled trip to Florida and my niece gave me a dozen White Pekin duck eggs. What's a girl to do
hu.gif
? When i got home i candled all my eggs, pulled my clears and stuck my duck eggs in. Those went in on 3-23 so i guess they will count for the EHAL. My test hatch will hit day 18 on the 26th so i will pull those and load'er up again. Wanted to try some fresh eggs from my English Orp coop but lo and behold i have a hen now sitting on about 17 eggs and i'm pretty sure the other girls are continuing to lay in that same box
rant.gif
. SO i have to go out tomorrow and wait for momma to get off the nest and quickly mark the ones she's sitting on then every day pull the extras. I might try some that are a couple weeks old just to fill my bator. Should be interesting, I have a BBS Eng Orp Roo with 9 hens, BBS, Black, and frizzle.

I'm not seeing anywhere near as many as expected for this hatch a long. Figures, everyone wants to buy hatching eggs this week lol. I will post my total tonight when I put them in.

double yolked eggs are an egg laying fault. Something is off on the timing and the egg goes back up for the second yolk. It is not good for the hen. Usually they only lay a couple at the beginning of the egg cycle--when first laying eggs or after a molt.

They are nearly impossible to hatch chicks from too.

Well, I am glad my hens are healthy and not having to go through the pain of double yolkers, so I guess I should be thankful. Lol. And I am, I just think I'd be cool to get one. I have heard of few feople hatching double yolkers, but I know that is next to impossible. But still, who would not set one just for the heck of it? ;)

her birds are absolutely beautiful! I also got mine from her. This is one of my November babies from her eggs, Onyx :)

Oh, gorgeous!! I can not wait to get mine. :fl

185 grams. It is definitely one gigantic egg!

My grandparents have really old hens, like five or so years old, and they are laying 200 gram eggs, not exaggerating here. Seriously, I do not know how it is physically possible for those poor hens, but they are doing it! I keep on telling them they need to get rid of those hens and start with some babies this year.

Mine is full.
15 English Orpington
12 a\c - c\l mix
21 silkies
26 buff orp, JJ, and maran mix
141 for
A total of 215 eggs set

I have red laced English Orpington hatching that I bought off eBay. Great seller. Every egg fertile

Back
Top Bottom