The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

That humidity would be too high here and the embryos would die. Did you happen to eggtopsy the ones that didn't hatch last time? Was there liquid in the egg? You might try running it a little lower. I have to do 30% for mine to hatch.
Of the two didn't hatch one was an early quitter, so there was fluid. The one that failed to pip had some unabsorbed yolk, but nothing I would really describe as fluid beyond that. I have a Brinsea Mini Advance. If you're not familiar with it, it has a well in the center with two halves. You're supposed to keep half filled until lockdown, and then fill the second one then to increase humidity. It's supposed to be that easy.
idunno.gif

I'll put the hygrometer in there tonight and see where I'm at. I'm guessing it's around 45%. You and I are both in New England, it looks like. The humidity outside is currently 71%, but I'm guessing it's far lower than that in my house with the heat on.

Candled my eggs tonight, day 6. 48 eggs set, All shipped eggs, looks like 34 are developing, 13 were definitely completely clear and 1 had a blood ring. 28 chicken and 6 duck eggs now left. Will candle again at day 12.

That's great! Good luck with your hatch!

Last edited:
Egg update: goose egg is still doing really well. After candling the shipped Call eggs there were four clears but the rest are coming right along.

And I got my new turner end so the problem with my autoturner is fixed. I do need to email Brinsea though as they said they'd be sending me a return label to return the one that wasn't working right but they didn't.

Hi guys. I don't have time to catch up right now.

Things are crazy here. I would appreciate it if everyone could please read this post I know it's long but the lowest half is what's most important to me. The upper half will give you a laugh.

We set chicken eggs for the Easter hatchalong on Monday at noon.

Yesterday we discovered something had damaged our kitchen cupboard under the sink. And later learned it's a groundhog. It would seem it hibernated in the crawl space under our kitchen floor and became stuck.

Everyone remember those holes last fall under our porch? I believe we know the cause. Well apparently the thing can't find its way out and of course has no access to water. Yesterday it chewed through the water line to our sprayer knozzle on the kitchen sink as well as chewing at the cupboard itself. There is a flap of wood that goes around the pipes that lifts out that is it's entrance point.

We were up until past 4 am last night trying to get the thing out. It's large for a groundhog and although I'm not frightened of it I do respect it and feel for it's plight. We are trying to shoo it out through the kitchen and out the back door. Unfortunately this has not proved easy.

Hopefully tonight we can manage to get it out. It is very fearful but not aggressive although if it felt cornered I'm sure it could be. In fact after it got out of the cupboard(pushed the cupboard door open) last night the wood fell and it wasn't able to get back down the hole for some time.

We weren't able to get the door open and get it out before it got the flap up again.

It was quite the fiasco with me trying to soothe the frightened panicked creature. And eventually it turned and walked right up to me in between the kitchen and the dining room. No fear what so ever and sniffed the tote lid that I held as a barricade before looking up at me. I told it gently it didn't want to go that way and turn around and it did. Lol

Quite the night. Hopefully tonight we will be more successful.

Now my friends please I need your thoughts and prayers for my Grandpa. I was informed today that he was rushed from his Alzheimer's care assisted living via ambulance a couple of days ago. His doctor had changed his meds and taken him off his pills for his mood. From what I understand. It was a short conversation. I will know more later. My Grandpa, who is the kindest most respectful man you'd ever meet, except for his Alzheimer's acted up without his pills. Any change at all is hard for Alzheimer's or dementia patients and he began to act out to the staff. From there they sent him to a hospital with a psych ward.

However upon admission tests were run and he has bacteria in his urine which we knew about but his elderly doctor chose to ignore when he saw him Friday. They also did a CAT scan and discovered he has pneumonia and a sinus infection as well as a urinary tract infection. He was not running a fever.

For those that don't know illness in patients who are elderly or have dementia or Alzheimer's often confuses and worsens their mental state. In the last three weeks he has not been recognizing family at all which has been spotty. He has good days and bad days but lately there all been bad.

We are hoping that treating these illnesses will improve his mental state and lesson his mood swings. If he remains violent or threatening of violence the place will not take him back.

:( Everyone please keep my Grandpa in your thoughts and prayers and keep my family in them as well.

My Grandpa is being monitored and treated with IV antibiotics. He did recognize my Grandma for the first time in three weeks yesterday when he looked at her and said her name.

I will keep you all up to date on Grandpa and on the groundhog when I know more. Thank you guys

Oh wow, I'll pray for you and your grandpa and everyone chickendreams. And did the doctor know about all the stuff he has? If so, I'm not sure I'd be going to that doctor anymore :/

But anyway, I hope the hospital can help him and that he improves enough to be allowed back to the place!

Hi guys. I don't have time to catch up right now.

Things are crazy here. I would appreciate it if everyone could please read this post I know it's long but the lowest half is what's most important to me. The upper half will give you a laugh.

We set chicken eggs for the Easter hatchalong on Monday at noon.

Yesterday we discovered something had damaged our kitchen cupboard under the sink. And later learned it's a groundhog. It would seem it hibernated in the crawl space under our kitchen floor and became stuck.

Everyone remember those holes last fall under our porch? I believe we know the cause. Well apparently the thing can't find its way out and of course has no access to water. Yesterday it chewed through the water line to our sprayer knozzle on the kitchen sink as well as chewing at the cupboard itself. There is a flap of wood that goes around the pipes that lifts out that is it's entrance point.

We were up until past 4 am last night trying to get the thing out. It's large for a groundhog and although I'm not frightened of it I do respect it and feel for it's plight. We are trying to shoo it out through the kitchen and out the back door. Unfortunately this has not proved easy.

Hopefully tonight we can manage to get it out. It is very fearful but not aggressive although if it felt cornered I'm sure it could be. In fact after it got out of the cupboard(pushed the cupboard door open) last night the wood fell and it wasn't able to get back down the hole for some time.

We weren't able to get the door open and get it out before it got the flap up again.

It was quite the fiasco with me trying to soothe the frightened panicked creature. And eventually it turned and walked right up to me in between the kitchen and the dining room. No fear what so ever and sniffed the tote lid that I held as a barricade before looking up at me. I told it gently it didn't want to go that way and turn around and it did. Lol

Quite the night. Hopefully tonight we will be more successful.

Now my friends please I need your thoughts and prayers for my Grandpa. I was informed today that he was rushed from his Alzheimer's care assisted living via ambulance a couple of days ago. His doctor had changed his meds and taken him off his pills for his mood. From what I understand. It was a short conversation. I will know more later. My Grandpa, who is the kindest most respectful man you'd ever meet, except for his Alzheimer's acted up without his pills. Any change at all is hard for Alzheimer's or dementia patients and he began to act out to the staff. From there they sent him to a hospital with a psych ward.

However upon admission tests were run and he has bacteria in his urine which we knew about but his elderly doctor chose to ignore when he saw him Friday. They also did a CAT scan and discovered he has pneumonia and a sinus infection as well as a urinary tract infection. He was not running a fever.

For those that don't know illness in patients who are elderly or have dementia or Alzheimer's often confuses and worsens their mental state. In the last three weeks he has not been recognizing family at all which has been spotty. He has good days and bad days but lately there all been bad.

We are hoping that treating these illnesses will improve his mental state and lesson his mood swings. If he remains violent or threatening of violence the place will not take him back.

:( Everyone please keep my Grandpa in your thoughts and prayers and keep my family in them as well.

My Grandpa is being monitored and treated with IV antibiotics. He did recognize my Grandma for the first time in three weeks yesterday when he looked at her and said her name.

I will keep you all up to date on Grandpa and on the groundhog when I know more. Thank you guys

I set the 21 eggs (9 Olandsk Dwarf and 12 D'uccles) on the 25th and I had one of my Serama hen go broody, so she is sitting on 4 eggs. Her timing might be a bit off :) but she is pretty close.

Back
Top Bottom