The addiction is too strong...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by flyingmonkeypoop, Sep 26, 2008.

1. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I posted a topic last month or so about how I was getting out of chickens because I was getting into exotics and such. Well I got a trio of barred leghorn bantams for the crele phoenix project, I didnt think I would get into them or anything because they are 'just another chicken'.
    Well I lied to myself, they are awesome and I have to breed them and improve them in addition to using them for the creles. So I now have several pheasants and exotic ducks and now and back on my drug of choice: chickens with dun laced wyandotte bantams and barred leghorn bantams. I will post pics when I get the chance, its still frosty outside.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    [​IMG] We told ourselves only 6 chickens...we now have 14. Then we said...ok 14 isn't bad but NO bantams! I couldn't help myself I had to order mille fleur D'uccles. Than bantam cochins (my personal fav) and then I HAD to have silkies! We are now up to 28! And I want MORE! Were going to a show in Menominee Oct 4th and I will be coming home with something..prob more bantam cochins [​IMG] Good luck with your addiction!

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I only wanted 4 last year for eggs. Check my sig line, yes it says 41 plus all those eggs.
    Plus I am going to a 4 H Chicken Sale on Oct 11.....

Addicted?????? No Not Me [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    My addiction started long ago with one mutt rooster, then I had to get some hens for him, then I looked at hatchery catalogs and had a mixed flock then I decided to work with plymouth rocks. I had them for a while but liked wyandottes better. I then got a partidge wyandotte bantam cockerel and liked him, looked for a year for some hens and finally found some so we got them. I bred them for awhile and saw dun laced wyandotte bantams at a show and had to have some. I couldnt find any so I got dun wyandottes instead, then I got whites, then silver laced. I figured I could make my own dun laced with the duns and silver laced so I did. As soon as I got the first cross from the duns I sold them. Then this spring when I was on eggbid I saw some neat exotic ducks so I emailed breeders and finally found someone, he was going out of business so I got a great deal on 3 pairs and a pair of cackler geese. Then I was on craigslist and saw amhearst pheasants and mom liked them so we went to pick them up and ended up getting them, a pair of yellow goldens, and a pair of silvers. Then the guy offered me the other 24 for $300 so I had to take it. Now I am building pens like crazy for them. Then I got the barred leghorns and love them.

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    uhh...my husband said, "Sure, I think you could get 6 chickens. That would be fine."

that, my FlyingMonkeyPoop friend was in April of THIS year. Check my sig line...[​IMG]

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Just give in to it..........[​IMG]

7. flyingmonkeypoop

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Dang, 263! That is alot, you must be going through feed faster than we are.

I have decided that I cant stay away from chickens, they are too addicting. I tried to stay away but couldnt. I cant see why I even tried to stop.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I remember when I read your post I thought...how can he give up chickens....that will never last!

9. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by