The adventures of Barbara (BR)

Too right! You are fortunate that the "killer" didn't get to your girls! On another note, what is it that they say about true life? You just can't make this stuff up! Another wonderful story (er, uh, report). oxoxo Caroline

Dear Mrs. ChickenDad,

I have followed Barbara's adventures from the beginning. I always enjoy them, yet rarely comment. But you are just getting better and better. This past week-end, although I had a million things to do, I was laid low by the flu. One thing I did to pass the time ( between trips to the porcelain throne) was to go back to page 1 and read all the stories from the beginning. I can't tell you how much better it made me feel.

You have such a way with words. A way of describing things that really makes me see the picture in my head. It makes me laugh out loud so many times. Thanks again for making me feel better when I was sick.

Alas, the 48 hour bug was gone just in time for me to go back to work this morning. So although I got "ripped off ' of my week-end, I had a wonderful time reminiscing(sp?) with Barbara.

thanks again,

Barbara Harrington (BJ)

Last edited:
Thank you, BJ. Glad Barbara could help!

I do enjoy everyone's comments. I keep thinking that Barbara is going to run out of adventures, but then she does something so chickeny, that it just has to be reported. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your feedback.

We just returned from taking a couple of the Little Boys for their tour of the post office and ride in a plane. They are going to Indiana to charm another chicken lady out of treats. But the funny thing was, that the postal worker at the counter is starting to recognize me and is becoming interested in the chickens. I will have to show him some baby chickies. He will be a goner in no time . . .

Oh yeah, if "Mr Postman (woman?) " is interested, it won't be long before chicken math takes over!! (What a wonderful thing to happen
celebrate.gif
)

Thank you, yet again for more wonderful entertainment, Mrs Chickendad!
thumbsup.gif

Since we don't have possums here on this side of the pond...Would a possum take chicks? And tackle a fully grown hen?
ep.gif
hide.gif

The Curse of the Sussex

Barbara and her girlfriends burst out the coop door yesterday. The snow that had been on the driveway was gone, and all the chickens were very happy. They ran/flew over to the spa under the spruce tree. Then they ran/flew over to the spa under the other spruce tree. Then they ran/flew back to the first spruce tree. Mrs. Chickendad smiled as she watched the chickens enjoying themselves after being cooped up so long.

A bit later, Chickendad asked if she wanted to make a run to the elevator for chicken feed. The girls were having such a good time that Mrs. Chickendad decided to leave them out. They were only going to be gone an hour.

While the Chickendads were gone, Barbara noticed a Funny Chicken watching them. The Funny Chicken made her uneasy. He was smaller than her and kind of skinny. Maybe he was a Bantam Funny Chicken. All the girls decided to go back in the coop, but the boys beat them to it. So much for chivalry . . .

When the girls made a pileup at the outside of the door, the Funny Chicken made his move. He grabbed the girl in the back of the pileup. She was one of the Speckled Sussex girls, the ones that the Chickendads have had such terrible luck raising. The rest of the girls raced over to the spa area to hide under the tree. The boys were already safe in the coop.

When the Chickendads returned home they saw the Coopers Hawk dining on his catch. Oh no! It was Specky Becky! They ran out and shooed off the hawk and took the sussex girl away from him. It was too late. Mrs. Chickendad put Becky over by the garage until she could change out of her good clothes. They would dispose of Becky later.

After the Chickendads changed clothes, they went back out and took care of business. In the meantime, the Funny Chicken had come back to see where his lunch had gone. He found her by the garage, where they had put her temporarily. When the Chickendads came out, the Funny Chicken was gone again. They took care of Becky, finished the chores and went back inside for supper.

The next morning, Chickendad noticed the Funny Chicken sitting on the ground in front of the garage where he had last eaten. He was waiting. Mrs. Chickendad took his picture. The project for today is to make sure all the outdoor pens are covered with netting. The hope is that Funny Chickens migrate, and this one is just passing through.

12082_coopers_hawk.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Possums look a lot like big rats. Really big rats. Fifteen or twenty pound rats. The one we caught was the size of a fox terrier. They will eat eggs, chicks, and any part of a chicken that they can drag through a hole. I realize that they have to make a living, but it's not gonna be on chicken if I can help it!

Back
Top Bottom