The Adventures of Barcode the Barred Rock

More! And more pics of Barcode please!
pop.gif

Barcode was jostling with the rest of the flock for a good view. The Food Bringer had just fenced off a small section of yard and carried out a cage with five very odd birds inside.

Certainly not chickens. They weren't as loud as Barcode thought they'd be, and they seemed a little cramped, but Barcode heard the Food Bringer mention to another human that they weren't domesticated like she and the rest of the chickens were and they had to stay in an area for at least six weeks before they would always come back, so they couldn't come out for now. The Food Bringer told the flock to always listen to them if they alarmed, because they had sharp eyesight and were good at spotting danger. The Food Bringer said she hoped they would help with the dog problem, since he had been back again and the neighbors who owned him weren't keeping him locked up like they were supposed to.

Barcode regarded the new birds for a week or so and noted that they didn't seem as strange as she first thought - they ate the same food she did and loved bananas too. They also took dust baths. After a week the weird hoop thing that the Food Bringer was working on was fenced in on all the sides and the Food Bringer put the new birds, which she called guineas, in it to live instead of in their cage. There were only three now - she had sold two to a nice man who only had one lone guinea that needed friends. Other than this, Barcode didn't pay much attention to the newcomers. Rather, she tried to stay out of the way of the roosters because they were molting and grumpy and itchy. Her sister was molting too and looked like she had exploded. Barcode was thankful her molt was light this year. Other than the guineas and the molting and the weird hoop thing the flock was settling down, getting used to its new members and dealing with the cramped coop as best they could. Not much else was going on - for now.

I have guineas as well. They follow me around like I am their mom. They know I am the Food Bringer, and that means they expect something every time I come outside. They will set up quite a noise when I don't bring food
hit.gif
but if I talk sweet to them they calm down. They really are funny birds. Recently I purchased a Buff Orpington and a Black Austrolorp to add to my flock. Apparently neither of them like the rooster, so the australorp defected to the other coop, and the Orpington took up with my guineas. She roosts with them, hangs out with them (when they stay close to home), and eats with them. I tried to put her in with the other flock, but they were mean to her, and now she is SURE she is a guinea. I love my birds; never a dull day
wee.gif

Barcode finally knew what the weird metal loop thing was - it was a coop! It had nesting boxes and a roost and a floor with bedding and all kinds of stuff. She knew because the Food Bringer had finally opened it and she got to explore. However, her opening the coop also meant that the guineas were out. The guineas didn't bother many of the chickens. The hens all pecked at them a little to show them who's boss and the guineas didn't seem to want to fight so they gave in. The rooster chased them a little to make sure they weren't dangerous.

However, Barcode was not many of the chickens. As soon as the guineas were out they had run over to her and stood all around her. They tried to preen her face. They followed her. Barcode was...confused by this.

She tried pecking at them like the other hens did. They just ducked and stood there after she had pecked them. She tried walking away. They followed her.

She tried hiding under the ramp of the coop. They followed her there and stood around her.

Everywhere she went they followed. She didn't understand why. She wasn't a guinea! They didn't follow her sister, so it wasn't how she looked. She wasn't being overly nice to them, so it wasn't how she was acting. She was very confused!

They followed her all day, ate when she ate, drank when she drank, foraged when she foraged, and even dust bathed when she dust bathed. They did warn her about a hawk, though, so at least they were useful. They followed her to safety when she ran. At night, they followed her into the old coop instead of the new coop where they had been living for weeks.

A few days later, when the Food Bringer picked all the birds up and locked them in the new Hoop Coop (Barcode thought that was very mean, after all there was foraging to do, but this coop was bigger than the other one, she guessed) the guineas stuck by her for the whole three days she was stuck in there with the other birds. They surrounded her on the roost and kept her warm and kept the other chickens from pecking at her.

A few days later, when she was out foraging and she still had the guineas with her, Barcode decided she rather liked these creatures. They kept her company and never pecked her or chased her like the other birds did. They kept her cozy at night and followed her everywhere. All in all, Barcode was happy to have friends. After all, these birds were even more loyal to her than her sister!

Back
Top Bottom