The Adventures of Featherdust Flock

They are here! I ordered six hens and got.... 9 girls and a boy?! Wow!
I already love them so much! More soon!

Attachments

• IMG_20180404_133001_756.jpg
    IMG_20180404_133001_756.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 28
So far, things are going well with the new chicks! I sure wish I could see the reactions of a few of my motherly adult hens (like dear Derp!), but I must maintain strict quarantine until the chicks build immunity, since I have had Marek's in my flock before. Changing clothes every time I go out to take care of the big chickens is a chore, but worthwhile!

One of the chicks came in very cold, small, and weak. I found an egg-belly-scab on her and I knew she might not make it. I'm doing some baby intensive care to see if I can get her enough energy to start taking care of herself... She wants to eat but just doesn't have the energy for it. I hand fed her some formula this morning and she's started to perk up a bit! I won't hold my breath because they are still so young, and anyone that's raised more than a few chicks knows that they can pass away for next to no reason at this age. Still, I will do my best for her!

Then we have a chick that is vigorous but has a hard time figuring out what she is supposed to eat. Her obsession right now is trying to eat the tiny tips of the wing feathers on her siblings, which doesn't work out so well. I have been redirecting her to the actual food repeatedly... I think it's starting to sink in!

I've made a pact with my husband not to name anyone until they are at least a week old and thriving, to prevent heartbreak. I may need to paint a few of their toenails, though, as a few look very similar to one another.

On days where I have my computer on, I am streaming live video of their brooder... if anyone is interested! There is no sound, and there are additional details in the video description.
(you will need to actually click over to Youtube to see it... I have changed settings but for some reason they haven't "taken" yet)

Attachments

• bielebaby1.jpg
    bielebaby1.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom