The African and Chinese goose thread!!

So glad to read about geese hatching out ducklings. I have an unbonded brown Chinese who I could not break her broodiness. So I have her what she wanted... Eggs. But I didn't have any fertile goose eggs so I have her 15 mallard/Rouen eggs.
The only thing I am worried about is suffocation. Could she be too heavy?
Here she is happy as a lark.

Goose when they are broody don't care, they want babies. they will raise ducks, no problem! I have a chinese and an Embden both on nests, and can promise there will be pekin mixed in. Both hens are flat out and plastered to the nests. Sounds like snakes hissing when I look in on them
hide.gif
One is 2, the other an Embden wont be a year til july, betcha both will have a bunch of ducks in the mix. The pekin wont brood a bit. its been bred out of them.

chitter(a female?) when i got it

chitter and chatter today(i think chatter is a gander)
love.gif
ganders are protective really young, bigger legs, longer necks and grow faster. Adorable babies!

0.jpg

I've mentioned this before on a few posts. Sweet Pea is a 2 year old African Gander that gives us 'kisses.' He'll come up and nibble on your bottom lip. As you see here, Dave is getting kisses from Sweet Pea. I've been trying to get a video of this for a while now, since I've got one friend that swears that Sweet Pea will turn mean and rip our lip off. I just don't see that happening. Sweet Pea is one of our most mellow geese. He is treated well and we're aware of the body signals of ganders when they don't want you around.

I've mentioned this before on a few posts. Sweet Pea is a 2 year old African Gander that gives us 'kisses.' He'll come up and nibble on your bottom lip. As you see here, Dave is getting kisses from Sweet Pea. I've been trying to get a video of this for a while now, since I've got one friend that swears that Sweet Pea will turn mean and rip our lip off. I just don't see that happening. Sweet Pea is one of our most mellow geese. He is treated well and we're aware of the body signals of ganders when they don't want you around.
That is adorable! Lovely gander

I've mentioned this before on a fewposts. Sweet Pea is a 2 year old African Gander that gives us 'kisses.' He'll come up and nibble on your bottom lip. As you see here, Dave is getting kisses from Sweet Pea. I've been trying to get a vide o of this for a while now, since I've got one friend that swears that Sweet Pea will turn mean and rip our lip off. I just don't see that happening. Sweet Pea is one of our most mellow geese. He is treated well and we're aware of the body vsignals of ganders when they don't want you around.
Absolutely adorable! I too have a VERY loving gander, his name is Hansel & he LOVES to be held! He's a year old & is VERY protective of me & his two girls-pom saddlebacks.......

So glad to read about geese hatching out ducklings. I have an unbonded brown Chinese who I could not break her broodiness. So I have her what she wanted... Eggs. But I didn't have any fertile goose eggs so I have her 15 mallard/Rouen eggs.
The only thing I am worried about is suffocation. Could she be too heavy?
Here she is happy as a lark.

So today was day 29... No pipping or movement. Like I said, they are duck eggs and she has been sitting on them faithfully. How much longer should I give them? She is turning into a bag of bones.

Back
Top Bottom