The African and Chinese goose thread!!

How long for Africans to lay fertilized eggs. Just for our first today I think. Definitely bigger than my black Swedish eggs and not gotten any eggs from my musckovy I don't think. Just want to make sure this egg is a goose egg.
Usually the first ones are small and not worth bothering with. So if you´re not sure, it´s either not a goose egg, or it´s not anything worthwhile. You´ll definitely know when you have a decent goose egg.
lol.png

And muscovy eggs are so smooth.

First 2 goslings today! Broody hatched. Had to take them, all 4 hens decided they were theirs, and the littles were getting trampled!
2 hens have huge nests, guessing 15+ eggs each. 1 has none, sitting on air, and the last has about 7 eggs. It was a nightmare, and the gander was really ticked!
He got my leg! So amongst all the goose fights had to pin him for biting mom too. He is a very good boy, I don't blame him with all the goose fights going on over the goslings. He is doing his job. But not ok... the babies survived and the little one stepped on seems ok. Will be watching the goose pen close this next week. Looks like an african and a chinese so far. May be time to divvy them up more!

Wow, that does sound like a nightmare! I am so glad that you were able to save the goslings without anyone getting hurt!

First 2 goslings today! Broody hatched. Had to take them, all 4 hens decided they were theirs, and the littles were getting trampled!
2 hens have huge nests, guessing 15+ eggs each. 1 has none, sitting on air, and the last has about 7 eggs. It was a nightmare, and the gander was really ticked!
He got my leg! So amongst all the goose fights had to pin him for biting mom too. He is a very good boy, I don't blame him with all the goose fights going on over the goslings. He is doing his job. But not ok... the babies survived and the little one stepped on seems ok. Will be watching the goose pen close this next week. Looks like an african and a chinese so far. May be time to divvy them up more!
Oh, I missed this post! Goodness, your geese aren´t bosom buddies, then?!
lol.png
Glad the babies are ok,

My goose house is an aluminum top off an old snowmobile trailer. Its 8ft wide, and like 16 ft long or so. Its got a convenient door that lifts at the front..my egg door! Its odd, the 2 determined broodies are about 4 ft apart in the goose house. always have tails to each other! My oldest Chinese hen and my youngest embden. The other Chinese goose is sitting on air.. and she sporadically parks herself between the 2 girls. The second embden hen was parked by her sister, but she had her eggs taken by her too! These girls are even stealing pekin eggs. That's why I wanted to let them hatch their own this year, its time.
Told DH I may just take them all, candle them and sort out what I have! My other choice is to move all the other birds out, UGH. That's going to be a big area to fence.
I have 7 pekin, an unknown mutt duck hatched from a pekin, and 14 adult geese. All 4 Africans are ganders it appears, disappointed. body size and shape are all the same, and they all follow the oldest Chinese gander around like he is tossing corn out. My honest preference is brown Chinese or Africans. Dad loves the embden and white Chinese so we got em all.
Anyone else have Canadian geese visit? The group that grazes our north field is getting friendlier with my geese.. should I be concerned? I don't mind them, and actually enjoy watching how graceful they are. Disease is an issue I am guessing.. They have been coming in since we lived here, at least 10 years I know of. One pair would land on our roof every morning honking
lau.gif
. If there is no known issues, they can hang out all they want. They were interested last year too. I don;t feed them, and won't. They are a big problem here in the town and subdivisions. I do enjoy watching them.

Goose when they are broody don't care, they want babies. they will raise ducks, no problem! I have a chinese and an Embden both on nests, and can promise there will be pekin mixed in. Both hens are flat out and plastered to the nests. Sounds like snakes hissing when I look in on them
hide.gif
One is 2, the other an Embden wont be a year til july, betcha both will have a bunch of ducks in the mix. The pekin wont brood a bit. its been bred out of them.
love.gif
ganders are protective really young, bigger legs, longer necks and grow faster. Adorable babies!
That explains why it is easier to find good feathering on him lately

My goose and duck co-hatched duck and turkey eggs. Total hatch was 6 duck and 2 turkey. I took the turkeys and placed them in a brooder. 4 of the ducks hatched Monday and 2 yesterday. I put a waterer and chick starter in their house. The duck will leave and go to the creek. The goose stays back with the ducklings. She is the #1 Mama. When will she bring them out and take them to water. Will the Mama's keep the cats and other birds from messing with the babies. My cats don't bother the chickens, but haven't been around any just days old.

My goose and duck co-hatched duck and turkey eggs. Total hatch was 6 duck and 2 turkey. I took the turkeys and placed them in a brooder. 4 of the ducks hatched Monday and 2 yesterday. I put a waterer and chick starter in their house. The duck will leave and go to the creek. The goose stays back with the ducklings. She is the #1 Mama. When will she bring them out and take them to water. Will the Mama's keep the cats and other birds from messing with the babies. My cats don't bother the chickens, but haven't been around any just days old.

She will go after the cats if they try, but no guarantee she can protect them, if they should wander away from her.. Typically both will stay put with the mother, but things happen. I have one duckling that chases bumblebees, and then peeps loudly because he gets "lost"! My barn cat fortunately knows all birds are hands off and usually hangs out by the coops.

Back
Top Bottom