The African and Chinese goose thread!!

Yes, he will but a large predator is a risk. Coyotes for example will kill a goose, stray dogs. He may not mind you being around if you are well bonded to your geese. Fox will steal and eat young geese and goslings. And snapping turtles love to eat goslings and ducklings.
He has two mates and only hangs out with the non broody

Quote:
Do they have a coop or building they stay in, or are they free range? The gander may feel your hen is safe. My Embden gander has 3 hens, and is currently more worried about his non broody girls also. He will come running like a dinosaur if he hears her calling however, usually because I am checking on his hen. BB (Big Boy) does NOT like me in there but we have learned that that's going to happen wether he likes it or not, lol.
My chinese ganders are the same, watching the non brooding girls. So far none of those 4 girls are brooding. I have 2 goose houses (sheds) for them so there are lots of nesting spots.

Do they have a coop or building they stay in, or are they free range? The gander may feel your hen is safe. My Embden gander has 3 hens, and is currently more worried about his non broody girls also. He will come running like a dinosaur if he hears her calling however, usually because I am checking on his hen. BB (Big Boy) does NOT like me in there but we have learned that that's going to happen wether he likes it or not, lol.
My chinese ganders are the same, watching the non brooding girls. So far none of those 4 girls are brooding. I have 2 goose houses (sheds) for them so there are lots of nesting spots.
They are free range and he just stays with her off the nest

At what age should an African be allowed on a pond? I have one given to me to add to my flock after my dog got two of my others and he looks about a week or two older. (my other two are 6 weeks old). My newest one seems to have a majority of his feathers and is a little bigger than the other two.

The pond is full of other geese and a duck so it's not like he will be alone.

At what age should an African be allowed on a pond? I have one given to me to add to my flock after my dog got two of my others and he looks about a week or two older. (my other two are 6 weeks old). My newest one seems to have a majority of his feathers and is a little bigger than the other two.

The pond is full of other geese and a duck so it's not like he will be alone.
I would give them more time. Depending on where you are located, if in the US its breeding season. Adding young birds into that mix may go ok, but will probably put them at risk of attack, or worse. One of my ganders attack anything that comes within 20 feet of his hens, including young ducks or geese. Its worse on a pond, you can't get to them fast enough, and may be drowned by the attacker. Sorry to be negative, but I would feel horrible if I didn't bring this to your attention, and something happened to your goslings.

Thank you so much for your insight. Not trying to get rid of the little guy but there's a good number of geese out there and thought he would like to be near a real flock. I did notice a canadian goose have two little goslings so they'll obviously be here a couple more months until the goslings can fly. I'm in Georgia and they usually tend to head back around this time.

Got Chinese and African goose cross with a tuluse. They hatched out a few days ago.

Back
Top Bottom