The african and chinese goose thread!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ruffledfeathers1234, Jul 1, 2011.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Anyone notice hens making nests? My Chinese are! We usually don't see eggs til late january!
    My 2 oldest hens were doing the errrrrr errrrr sound when I gave them new bedding today.
    Dragged a lot into nest piles [​IMG]

2. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    My friends Pilgrim Goose Just went broody this week, My african hasnt started yet though

3. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    My african and embden are still young, july babies. My chinese are 3/2012 hatches and are fantastic parents. This year they will brood and raise their own, I hatched several last year and want to let them raise the goslings naturally going forward.
    I will probably incubate the African and Embden this year, but really leaning towards leaving them alone too, looks like I have 4 pairs!
    Noticed the canadians are actually visiting some when my geese are free ranging, was really surprised to see it.
    Theres a huge park right across the road from us. I see them in our north field often, today they landed with my flock.
    Lots of honking and arguing but was very surprised they visited. The canadians do several fly overs daily so I think they are curious.
    Does anyone know, will they cross breed to my flock? I don't care either way but this is something new.

4. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    My grandfather told me a story about when some of the wild turkeys were raising hell in his yard, and he tried figuring out why, turns out there was a small flock of Canadians on the roof and the turkeys werent having any of that!

Canadians can cross with Greylag descended species of geese (Embden, Toulouse, Pilgrim etc...) but I am not positive about Asian Swan Goose descendants (African and Chinese)

5. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

6. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Bring season for me starts in Feb and a month later eggs and its my first time sharing my info with ppl of how im going to incubate eggs etc.
    Oh and swan geese and greylag type geese can crossbreed with eachother ive lots of em

7. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, serv, we´ll be watching with interest! [​IMG] And I think the question was whether canada geese will cross-breed with the asians. I can only imagine they can, but I´ve never seen any results to prove that.

8. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    We will see but im certin:)

9. Daniel-Sorensen

Daniel-Sorensen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    Sweden
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Daniel-Sorensen

Daniel-Sorensen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    Sweden
    My Coop
    This is my Hybridgeese, they have 50% Chinese goose in them. I have 1 male 3 females.
    They are a cross between a Chinese goose male and a Scania goose female. (Scania goose is a rare swedish breed)

I have big plans for these and are going to breed them together to see what theyr gooslings (F2) will look like. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by