The African and Chinese goose thread!!

Pics
servpolice I truly enjoyed this story! I am always amazed at how fearful people are of them.
Its true, any one or thing that doesn't belong in the yard, I know pretty fast somethings wrong!
"visitors" will not exit their cars anymore as soon as they see them. We are across the road from a state employee recreation park.
People constantly pull in and use our horse shoe drive for their turn around, or to ask directions
somad.gif

I don't mean to be un-neighborly but some are not very polite, and drive very fast through our property!
We are installing driveway gates this year.
Until then,my geese handle the problem and if anyone EVER runs over one of MY birds I will press charges.

Please, understand. No goose of any size or breed is a match for a dog if that dog means business.
Geese are alarms/alerts but NOT a guardian. A gander will valiantly defend his flock, but don't place them at risk of being slaughtered.
I am stating this to save you a lot of heartbreak and grief, and a horrible loss you won't ever forgive yourself for.
Brown chinese are regal, loyal, and just beautiful. They can be loud, and will tell you immediately if someone or thing does not belong in their yard!
I own brown & white chinese, embden and african. None eat more than the other IMO.
You will need a gander to have fertile eggs. Chinese do lay longer and are broody. Definitely strong, dependable mothers.
Yes, I do understand that dogs are bigger and better equipped for killing than geese, but the old dog we used to have was an ADAMENT chicken eater. She lived and breathed to kill chickens and would prowl around the pen for hours trying to get to them. Well when we got goslings, she did not touch them, even when one accidently got loose for a half of a day while we were gone. She was soooo gentle. When they got bigger, she really liked them, almost though of them as friends, but of course they would not let her anywhere near them. Well, this new dog, a rough akita/husky, is not so much into chickens. I am successfully training her to behave around chickens, so maybe she will tolerate geese too.
idunno.gif

Certainly has the Akita guarding instinct going for her, there is your flock guardian
thumbsup.gif
Sure, she really shows her akita guard instinct. At her young age she will already growl at strangers on occasion.
hmm.png
Porker is super loyal to me and will do pretty much whatever I tell her to. She must be husky sized sized, though, around 60 lbs. Is that small for an Akita?
I trained my dog well but she never was interested in poultry at all but only cats at the start and now only foxes
That is quite amazing. I wish I could feel so confident about my dog! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom