The African and Chinese goose thread!!

MIRACLE!
Found a LIVE BABY! VERY TINY AND VERY WOBBLY but ALIVE! It's drying and resting under the heat lamp! OH SO EXCITED!
Two eggs remain. ...guess I should give a few more days for those eggs huh?

ep.gif
ya.gif

CONGRATS!!!!!! Don't forget to spray momma's nest with super warm water like you did before!

MIRACLE!
Found a LIVE BABY! VERY TINY AND VERY WOBBLY but ALIVE! It's drying and resting under the heat lamp! OH SO EXCITED!
Two eggs remain. ...guess I should give a few more days for those eggs huh?
Well, what a surprise. How wonderful. So what exactly is happening with those remaining eggs, then? At least you´ll be able to keep the two gozzies together until they can go out with mum. It must have been your spraying that helped. Well done. and maybe the goose is learning too.

Thanks Utah!
I'll be marching out there with spray bottle shortly. ...
should I be concerned about the "wobblyness" of new baby? I'm thinking it's exhausted from all that effort to get into the world!
I'm REALLY glad I checked when i did....momma was square on top of it & it was deep down in the nest.....I'm afraid it may have suffocated!
I'll keep everyone updated & post pics soon!
amazing what a difference 4 days makes! Sloane is 4 times the size! Don't worry. ..they're not together. ...I'm too scared Sloane might accidentally hurt new baby!

Thanks Utah!
I'll be marching out there with spray bottle shortly. ...
should I be concerned about the "wobblyness" of new baby? I'm thinking it's exhausted from all that effort to get into the world!
I'm REALLY glad I checked when i did....momma was square on top of it & it was deep down in the nest.....I'm afraid it may have suffocated!
I'll keep everyone updated & post pics soon!
amazing what a difference 4 days makes! Sloane is 4 times the size! Don't worry. ..they're not together. ...I'm too scared Sloane might accidentally hurt new baby!
When you go out there with the spray bottle, have a little listen to the eggs for tapping or cheeping. and wobbly babies are all quite normal for a day or two.
And the babies shoulod be fine together. 4 days is nothing, just keep an eye on them.
The two together will thrive.

Last edited:
Well I sprayed the nest & the eggs. Also listened. ...I didn't hear anything from either one? At this stage should I most definitely be hearing something?
Sloane & Slade are doing very very well. I'm going to keep them inside with me for awhile. ...I'd be devestated if something happened to them. ...after all this.....it would kill me.....

Well I sprayed the nest & the eggs. Also listened. ...I didn't hear anything from either one? At this stage should I most definitely be hearing something?
Sloane & Slade are doing very very well. I'm going to keep them inside with me for awhile. ...I'd be devestated if something happened to them. ...after all this.....it would kill me.....
If they´re due to hatch you´d usually hear something, but not always, maybe they were resting!
I imagine they don´t stink, then, you´d notice that. Well, enjoy your babies.

Hi everyone, it took me a while to read and admire all the beautiful geese here! I am a first time goose owner, I purchased my babies at a feedstore. 6 weeks ago I got 3 goslings and a bunch of chickens, a week later I got 3 more goslings. Unfortunately I lost 1 a few days ago, the remaining 5 are healthy. I switched to Bluebonnet game bird feed and add brewers yeast to their water now. I have 4 white Chinese, and 1 with a tuft on his head that doesn't look Chinese. He is just as large as they are despite being a week younger. Can anyone identify the breed? I'm not keeping him, he going to a new home soon with a man who is trading me a Chinese female gosling in exchange, I'm just curious.

Can anyone ID the breed? Or do I need a better photo? His feet and bill are almost white in color, and there is no knob on his bill. He also "talks" differently than the other 4.

Here are photos of the gang, I raised them with the chickens because I heard that geese raised with them are less likely to attack the chickens when full grown. The geese accept the flock I raised them with but totally went after some new pullets we added, those pullets are in separate housing for now.

He is handsome and he knows it!

Treat time!

Supervised yard time.

A little chick/gosling love.

Last edited:
LB,
No the eggs didn't stink......how long should I leave them for her to on before I remove them? And any suggestions on how to do that without traumatizing her? It's her last two eggs....do I just take one at a time? Then what if she still insists on setting on nothing?
I'll give babies back.....just not yet.....I don't trust our weather yet & not sure I trust her?

Fowlmoma, I know that with chickens you can swap chicks for eggs while the hen is not looking. But I don't think that is a good idea for a goose that may have sat so tight to the nest that she suffocated her goslings. If you feel the eggs are dead, it might be best to do put her with the other geese for comfort and block her access to the nest. Or you could set up a temporary pen away from the nest and put the gosling with just her for supervised interaction and see if she will go from broody to momma mode. But I have never had a broody goose, mine are still babies, soI could be completely wrong. Do what you think is best or wait for someone with more experience to give you better advice.

Back
Top Bottom