The African and Chinese goose thread!!

You are in a catch 22 position now. If in an incubator, I recommend misting every 1-2 hours once battling shrink wrap. On the other hand, the right mixture of spraying and goose's heat may create the proper humidity and every time you lift your goose off the babies, you expose them to dry air.

I agree with living brazil. There is a learning curve to hatching poultry for both human and goose. Sadly, there usually are quite a few losses along the way as we all make mistakes.

LB,
Yes she has access to water at all times and she can bathe in it if she so chooses.
Yes it looked like dried paper on parts of them. So devastating to lose them after fighting so hard to hatch....it crushes my heart....
I did go out and spray the eggs like you suggested, how often do you think I should do this? She dutifully got right back on the nest after I sprayed them.....such a devoted momma.....
I think we're narrowing in on a name for our survivor.....Sloan .....Scottish for warrior....works for boy or girl
Hi there. So the gozzies that died, then, didn´t even get out of the shell? They didn´t manage to open the 'lid'? So the membrane just sealed them in there? Well, then, for some reason it does sound like she´s not keeping the eggs damp enough. They´ll need misting very regularly..Maybe half-hourly. I´d have them indoors to hatch if it were me.

You are in a catch 22 position now. If in an incubator, I recommend misting every 1-2 hours once battling shrink wrap. On the other hand, the right mixture of spraying and goose's heat may create the proper humidity and every time you lift your goose off the babies, you expose them to dry air.

I agree with living brazil. There is a learning curve to hatching poultry for both human and goose. Sadly, there usually are quite a few losses along the way as we all make mistakes.
That´s something you could try if you are so worried about taking them indoors.......spray the whole nest.

I do not have an incubator and unfortunately I cannot afford one right now.
The first dead gosling I found completely out of its shell and free of all membrane, I believe it was suffocated bcuz there were TWO geese on the nest. I then removed darla so only lydikins could do her thing by herself. Second gozzie is my beefcake survivor that I'm raising inside now. Third baby I found mostly hatched and alive but having the membrane (white paper looking stuff) stuck to the side of its head and parts of its back. I brought it in and attempted to remove the stuff and was successful at getting it off but the gozzie was sooo weak, it never held its head up, just laced there. It died. The 4th hatching gozzie I found almost completely hatched but dead, with the white membrane stuck to the side of its head also! So three eggs remain.....I definitely heard clicking and peeping from one of the three eggs. I sprayed them really good with warm water this afternoon and lydikins promptly sat right back on them......
Now what?.....

I do not have an incubator and unfortunately I cannot afford one right now.
The first dead gosling I found completely out of its shell and free of all membrane, I believe it was suffocated bcuz there were TWO geese on the nest. I then removed darla so only lydikins could do her thing by herself. Second gozzie is my beefcake survivor that I'm raising inside now. Third baby I found mostly hatched and alive but having the membrane (white paper looking stuff) stuck to the side of its head and parts of its back. I brought it in and attempted to remove the stuff and was successful at getting it off but the gozzie was sooo weak, it never held its head up, just laced there. It died. The 4th hatching gozzie I found almost completely hatched but dead, with the white membrane stuck to the side of its head also! So three eggs remain.....I definitely heard clicking and peeping from one of the three eggs. I sprayed them really good with warm water this afternoon and lydikins promptly sat right back on them......
Now what?.....
Hi fowlmama, sorry I´m slow getting back to you. the internet here is at snail´s-pace right now. It sounds like it may not be shrink-wrapping so much. I know you don´t have an incubator, neither do I, but I set up stuff here to do the job for a day or two. i do it with chicks too if I need to.
Now what?....well, if you want to run the risk of leaving them with mum, spray the eggs again and the nest to keep it damp there. have the goslings actually broken through the shell yet?

This might have been answered already but with over 100 pages I might have missed. How often do geese lay? If you have all females will they breed each other wanting a male? I get about two eggs a day but I have four geese. I thought that I could go by the fleshy flap (heard it called an egg pocket) to know who is laying like I can with my ducks. All four have the pocket but not every day. I posted a picture somewhere around page 95 of my geese but I will repost it.

I have learned that goose 1 from the left and 3 are laying. Found this out by watching closely and doing a pen and coop rotation. Last fall the white one laid a nest of eggs and tried to set but they weren't fertile. I have tried to figure out if the eggs are fertile but just can't tell like I can with the ducks and chickens.

The first pic is natural light and the second is lit with an LED flashlight. I have posted in other places and the general consensus is they are fertile. I have seen everyone of the geese in the nest that is built and have seen two nested down together and shortly found new eggs.

Please help. I am at my wits end with these birds.

LB
No worries, my internet has been the same today. ..annoying huh?
Of the three remaining eggs none have broken through the shell yet. I sprayed the eggs this evening and that's all I've done. ...at this point I'm REALLY worried about moving her off the nest any more....exposing the eggs to dry air???
yet I also am worried that if I don't check the eggs something could go wrong....oh this is making me more insane than usual! Such a delima......should I lift her from the nest in the morning to check on the eggs/spray them or should I just leave well enough alone?
I am so thankful for everyone's help & hand-holding, LB you've been a Godsend!

LB
No worries, my internet has been the same today. ..annoying huh?
Of the three remaining eggs none have broken through the shell yet. I sprayed the eggs this evening and that's all I've done. ...at this point I'm REALLY worried about moving her off the nest any more....exposing the eggs to dry air???
yet I also am worried that if I don't check the eggs something could go wrong....oh this is making me more insane than usual! Such a delima......should I lift her from the nest in the morning to check on the eggs/spray them or should I just leave well enough alone?
I am so thankful for everyone's help & hand-holding, LB you've been a Godsend!
Fowlmam, have you been keeping up with things on the Goosebreeding thread? Very interesting stuff there about using incubators, which I know you don´t have, but you can learn a lot about their needs by what people are posting on there. keep those eggs damp. Did you spray the nest yesterday? As I said, if it were me, I´d have them out of there and indoors....

This might have been answered already but with over 100 pages I might have missed. How often do geese lay? If you have all females will they breed each other wanting a male? I get about two eggs a day but I have four geese. I thought that I could go by the fleshy flap (heard it called an egg pocket) to know who is laying like I can with my ducks. All four have the pocket but not every day. I posted a picture somewhere around page 95 of my geese but I will repost it.

I have learned that goose 1 from the left and 3 are laying. Found this out by watching closely and doing a pen and coop rotation. Last fall the white one laid a nest of eggs and tried to set but they weren't fertile. I have tried to figure out if the eggs are fertile but just can't tell like I can with the ducks and chickens.

The first pic is natural light and the second is lit with an LED flashlight. I have posted in other places and the general consensus is they are fertile. I have seen everyone of the geese in the nest that is built and have seen two nested down together and shortly found new eggs.

Please help. I am at my wits end with these birds.
Looks like there is a bull eye there.

Back
Top Bottom