The age old Incubator question

Redemption

Chirping
Apr 13, 2021
I want to start by saying thank you to anyone who offers their thoughts and, I know this has been covered before. but it has not been covered in a way that satisfies my question (as far as Ive been able to find). Before I hop in I want to introduce myself. Hello everyone! I have been incubating awhile but I have always lurked as a non member. For lack of seeing this question answered in a way I understand I finally pulled the trigger to join.

I recently built myself an incubator from a broken wine fridge, and I am still tweaking a few aspects of it.

PXL_20210413_072631102.jpg

The way I am running my program eggs will almost exclusively be placed into this for lockdown, and occasionally for overflow. Unless I at some point become inspired to wire it for egg turners. For this reason, and because I incubate duck, chukar and pheasant, I need to control the temp and humidity pretty closely. So I cant just drill holes willy nilly (and would like to keep the setup looking presentable since it sits inside my home office. The interior space is somewhere around 5-6 cubic feet (by my eyeball guess) But I am willing to take interior measurements if it furthers my cause.

What does everyone recommend for number of holes, placement of holes, size of holes to ensure that there is adequate ventilation for eggs during lockdown periods. Bearing in mind that I know that the vents will need to be adjustable for fine tuning, I dont want to lose too much heat or too much moisture. Ive included a link below to someone touching on the broad point of the concept I am talking about here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubator-ventilation.49351/

Duds aside, with duck, I have an overall 91.89% hatch rate and would like to keep that number high if possible.

Back
Top Bottom