The Aloha Chicken Project

Sorry, didn't really answer you question. LOL. The current smallest Alohas are 3-4 pounds. The improved ones are probably 5-6 pounds, which is not enormous, but I can live with that. Sussex and Orpington hens are about 6-8 pounds. So these may be the same size as a hatchery Speckled Sussex, which tend to run a lot smaller than what the private breeders can get. Not tiny, just not huge. Also, the heavier chickens eat a lot more food. Leghorns are great for raising eggs, as the hen put more of the feed into making eggs instead of building body weight. So the Orps and such are wonderful pets! But they do eat a lot of food per egg.

If you are looking at pure practicality, the itty bitty Leghorns give you more "bang for the buck". More eggs per bag of feed. That's why Leghorns are used in factory farming. If you saw how tiny those hens are, who lay those huge jumbo grocery store eggs, you'd be surprised! They are very small!

My Alohas, I do want to keep them practical, so even if I could get them massive and huge - while that would be awesome to see - it may not be the most practical? The mid size is actually a good compromise. Big enough to look neat, but not so massive they would eat you out of house and home.

The little Alohas are actually the most practical of all, if you just want a durable chicken that lays a lot of eggs. They are tough as nails, nearly impossible to kill, shrug off 115 degree temps and always keep an eye out for predators. However, people simply like to have big fat chickens, and these are supposed to be pets, too. The small Alohas are similar in size and type to Icelandic Chickens (even though they are totally unrelated) so if you have ever seen those, that's what an ittly bitty "original" Aloha looks like in size and often color. I've been trying to get the size up for years, but it's very difficult, when the small ones do so well here in AZ. The environment is fighting me. If I had an Aloha breeder in Wisconsin, she'd probably have more luck getting them bigger in size. LOL!

Last edited:
I live in New Hampshire. Only have 10 hens and one cockerel. I like the large size of my orpingtons because Hawks can't fly off with them. So that means a 4lb chicken hawk would have to fight a 8-9lb cock. Will not end well for the hawk let me tell you. I was going to get brahmas but local store sold out and only had buffs orpingtons. I did like what I heard about how friendly they are. I got a 3 year old girl and 1.5 year old son. Gotta have friendly birds. But your birds do interest me. My orpingtons will do very well in these cold winters we get in new hampshire

I live in New Hampshire. Only have 10 hens and one cockerel. I like the large size of my orpingtons because Hawks can't fly off with them. So that means a 4lb chicken hawk would have to fight a 8-9lb cock. Will not end well for the hawk let me tell you. I was going to get brahmas but local store sold out and only had buffs orpingtons. I did like what I heard about how friendly they are. I got a 3 year old girl and 1.5 year old son. Gotta have friendly birds. But your birds do interest me. My orpingtons will do very well in these cold winters we get in new hampshire
Yes, Orps will do great in your location!
smile.png
Phoenix heat is a bit . . . extreme. LOL.

We are supposed to have a cool down about Wdenesday. They say Wednesday thru the weekend it's supposed to be in the lower nineties, instead of the triple digits. Not sure how the humitiy is supposed to be like.

Hopefully this will give my hens some relief and their laying should pick up.

By the way @alohachickens at about what age do the Alohas start laying?

I hope they pick back up before j get ready to set in September. Planning on setting the 4th. So I'll start collecting eggs about a week and half before setting.

Hooray I found the thread !! Newbie here and have a beautiful aloha roo, looking for any professional advice And was thinking of crossing the aloha roo with a cream legbar. ? Here is a pic of him ...

Hooray I found the thread !! Newbie here and have a beautiful aloha roo, looking for any professional advice And was thinking of crossing the aloha roo with a cream legbar. ? Here is a pic of him ...

Personally I wouldn't cross them. Mottling and barring doesn't mix very good. The barring messes up the mottling in my opinion.

Here is where I am at on the program. These are this years hatches. Loving how they are looking.

In the first pic, on the right you will see two white birds. One a pullet and one a cockerel. This year I had about 8 that hatched out like this. I kept a pullet and cockerel for some test breeding next srping.

Here is my main flock that was used to hatch the above birds this year. There are last years hatches and the year before in this group.

Have I told you guys lately how much I LOVE my alohas? :D

Back
Top Bottom