The Aloha Chicken Project

I know, I know, its been months since I checked in - yikes! Its been a busy summer.

I finally have a little good news to report. To recap.....I got Exchequer Leghorns 2 ½ years ago to breed back to a good quality German NH rooster. The goal was to breed that first generation back to one another and repeat.

The EL's are kind of duds. They were slow to develop, slow to lay, first to quit in the fall, last to start up in spring, lay small eggs yada, yada. And, because the hens are small, the rooster massive, and there are lots of much larger LF hens around, it turned out the rooster did not favor the hens and would not mate them voluntarily. I had to pen them together to get fertile eggs and even then, out of an incubator full of eggs, wound up with only 3 chicks. And, as luck would have it, all three were pullets. So at the end of 18 months, all I had to show was 3 not-yet-laying hens. (They started laying this spring).

Round two. When I thought I'd be starting on the next generation, I was instead back at square one, putting the EL hens in a pen with the NH rooster. I needed at least one cockerel. Once again, an incubator filled with as many eggs as the EL hens would lay while penned (my birds are used to free-range and stopped laying once I had them penned) yielded just 3 chicks.

And now for the good news. All three are cockerels.

So - 3 pullets the first year. 3 cockerels the second year. At this rate....well, you get the picture.

Those 3 little cockerels are now 2-3 months old. Not nearly old enough to breed and I'm concerned that about the time they are, the hens will have ceased laying for the year. That means I have to keep all 3 hens and at least one of the cockerels alive through the winter in order to go to the next generation.

The 3 cockerels were raised by broody hens so are NOT human friendly. That only matters when it comes to photos as they find my presence highly suspicious when I appear too focused on them, and do their best to hide. Nevertheless, I did attempt some photos and Sommer, I believe you will be pleased with these little guys. The hens from this same cross look like BSL's - all black with gold lacing around their necks. At least two of the three have "tells". One has white ear lobes and another has a white spot on one wing.

However the 3 cockerels are full of "tells". Here they are, poor quality photos and all.
Cockerel number one. In addition to several "tells" you can see reddish colored feathering on his wings - the influence from the NH sire. None of the hens got this and he is the only cockerel who did.

Cockerel number two. This is the least colorful of the three, but you can see white on his chest, even in this picture.

Cockerel number three. This guy has the most white - you can it on both his chest and his wings.

So here's my plan. Assuming I keep all 6 birds alive over the winter, I will set up 3 pens and put a pair in each. I will rotate cockerels between pens each week. So the eggs I get from each hen will have been fertilized by all three cockerels. This will give me the greatest genetic diversity I can think of, while keeping in mind that I am breeding siblings to siblings. To what degree they are siblings is unclear.

The eggs resulting in hens were collected from multiple EL hens. They were all sired by the same rooster. So they are at least half siblings, but it is possible they are full siblings, if the only eggs that developed out of that batch were collected from the same hen (I had no way to mark eggs from different hens).

The cockerels resulted from eggs collected from the same EL hens as above and the son of the sire from above. Once again, there is no way to know whether one or multiple EL hens laid the eggs that developed and whether or not the mother of any of the cockerels is the same as the mother of any of the pullets. And this time the sire is the son of the pullets' sire so he added a little genetic diversity due to having a NH mother who is completely unrelated to the hens.

That's the best I can do on genetic diversity with my set up anyway.

Size wise, it is hard to tell in these photos. They are typically sized for their age - small but still with a lot of growing to do. You can see their yellow legs and single combs. It is hard to get close enough to them to evaluate their overall body type, but the tail is on nice and straight and the legs seem to be set a nice distance apart.

I probably won't have another update until spring but wanted to let you all know I didn't drop off the face of the earth and though this is going far slower than I anticipated, I am still determined to get there. I'm the tortoise, not the hare.
lau.gif

So here's my plan. Assuming I keep all 6 birds alive over the winter, I will set up 3 pens and put a pair in each. I will rotate cockerels between pens each week. So the eggs I get from each hen will have been fertilized by all three cockerels. This will give me the greatest genetic diversity I can think of, while keeping in mind that I am breeding siblings to siblings. To what degree they are siblings is unclear.

The eggs resulting in hens were collected from multiple EL hens. They were all sired by the same rooster. So they are at least half siblings, but it is possible they are full siblings, if the only eggs that developed out of that batch were collected from the same hen (I had no way to mark eggs from different hens).

The cockerels resulted from eggs collected from the same EL hens as above and the son of the sire from above. Once again, there is no way to know whether one or multiple EL hens laid the eggs that developed and whether or not the mother of any of the cockerels is the same as the mother of any of the pullets. And this time the sire is the son of the pullets' sire so he added a little genetic diversity due to having a NH mother who is completely unrelated to the hens.

That's the best I can do on genetic diversity with my set up anyway.

Size wise, it is hard to tell in these photos. They are typically sized for their age - small but still with a lot of growing to do. You can see their yellow legs and single combs. It is hard to get close enough to them to evaluate their overall body type, but the tail is on nice and straight and the legs seem to be set a nice distance apart.

I probably won't have another update until spring but wanted to let you all know I didn't drop off the face of the earth and though this is going far slower than I anticipated, I am still determined to get there. I'm the tortoise, not the hare.
lau.gif

Wow, I am so glad you stuck with this!

The great mystery in all of this is the Leghorns gave you any laying issues, as the ones I bought from Ideal were fantastic early-maturing super-reliable layers. Eggs were not huge, but the hens laid them like clockwork! Terrific chickens. I still think something funky was happening at Ideal hatchery that spring, as the Sussex that I bought from them (about the same time!) the vast majority of them died before age 3 months. Years before that, I had bought a couple Sussex before from Ideal, along with the EL's, and Polish and other breeds, and all were beautiful and healthy. That was "wayback" in 2006 or 2007, however? So back in those days Ideal was sending out excellent chicks.

But everything I bought that same spring as you, more recently, from Ideal, was just a MESS. I only wish that AZ had offered discounted necropsy on chickens, in California you get two free per year but here in AZ they are $250. Ouch. Anyway, if we'd had affordable prices I'd have sent out the Ideal birds out, to see what the hell was going on there, because SOMETHING weird was happening for sure!!!

This project - for those watching on the sidelines - is basically a neat genetic experiment. Exchequers are black and white spotted. Really flashy! But kind of small. Normally EXCELLENT layers. Eggs are kind of small too. The NHR's are HUGE. And good layers but not spotted, just solid red.

In theory, crossing the two breeds would give you on the first cross, basically black chickens, just black chicks, not spotted, with some reddish brown showing through the black. Which appears to be happening in these chicks! So far, everything is moving along exactly as expected.

But according to the Punnet Square model, if you cross the chicks from this cross together, you should get one in four Mottled (spots will come back!) and one in four red. (Red is recessive which is why in humans, two parents with dark brown hair can sometimes have a child with red hair, if say both had a grandparent with the gene.)

Now the FUN part would be next generation. Will be REALLY get red and white spotted chicks, out of two "solid black" parents?!?! This is going to be so much fun to see! And to show the chicken world, as a "real life" example of the Mottled gene at work.

In theory, one in eight of the chicks should be red with white spots. Keep just the red and white spotted chicks from this cross and you should, theoretically, get a true breeding red and white spotted Leghorn / New Hampshire cross. But of course we'll now have to wait until next Spring to find out!

After that, if one chose, you could then mix in another generation of NHR, and breed those back to each other, and get a 3/4 NHR with Mottling. Which would give you something that would basically look just like a NHR with spots! Not related at all to any Sussex, Swedish, etc. That would make this "strain" of Aloha very unique. Also, could be crossover interest with the NHR crowd, as a Mottled NHR would be a really fun novelty.

So here's an interesting question. If the Ideal Exchequer Leghorns were "duds" because of something funky happening at the hatchery that spring, I would think the offspring would still be OK. Do you know of the Exchequer Leghorn x New Hampshire Red HENS are good layers? Or not? Just curious!

So here's an interesting question. If the Ideal Exchequer Leghorns were "duds" because of something funky happening at the hatchery that spring, I would think the offspring would still be OK. Do you know of the Exchequer Leghorn x New Hampshire Red HENS are good layers? Or not? Just curious!
Oh boy, I wish I knew the answer to that. I did catch one of them in the act of laying once this spring and was able to verify that she lays a decent sized (not huge but not small) light brown egg. But that's all I know. I have way too many birds
hide.gif
so I really never know who is laying and who isn't, unless they lay an egg that can be differentiated from the others. But with several dozen birds laying light brown eggs, I've never known how many this generation is laying.

I may be able to answer that better next spring when I put them in a pen to go to the next generation though.

Big blow to my Aloha NN program.

Last night a 'possum found his way into my pen of Aloha cockerels and got my only Aloha NN rooster.

I stil have the Aloha NN pullet and an Dliga pullet. I'll still keep the two Aloha roosters I have picked out. I'll pen the Aloha NN pullet and the Mottled Partridge NN hen of mine with the Dosngked one.

The other he has quite few spots on him but is mostly buffish colored but has great confirmation. I pen him with several red and buffish colored hens. Most likely won't get the mottling from the offspring of those but should carry the mottling gene.

I'll see what I get from this hatch I have in the incubator from my lightly mottled red rooster and my Mottled Partridge hen. Hopefully I'll get some nice calico colored pullets from this mating. I have a total of 14 eggs from them. I may get some to pair with the other Aloha rooster.

I haven't decided yet how I'm going to breed tha little Aloha pullet, I'm not one for too close inbreeding, but may try putting her with the light mottled red rooster if mine and see if I can't get some good ones from there.

I still have one good Spangled Aloha rooster left. I'll try to proceed with him.

And also the totally red Naked Neck from the Aloha NN's I'll guess I'll be keeping also.

The last two Alohas aren't going to work for me. Too thin looking fir their age and big floppy combs.

Last edited:
Well something got the Red Naked Neck rooster from the Aloha group that I had decided to keep. So it's left me with only one usable rooster to use.

Here he is:

Guess I'll be teaming him up with the only Aloha NN hen I have left along with a couple of other hens I have.

This has been one discouraging journey for me. Things just seem to get worse and worse. I'm not ready to give it up just yet though. Maybe between what I have left of the Alohas and my Calico hen and red mottled rooster I can continue. I feel there will be a problem with yellow legs though. Just a feeling.

On a positive more I did manage for 6 of the 14 Calico eggs to hatch. Five of the six were naked necked so I do have a few babies to work with.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my 5 Naked Neck babies from my Red Mottled NN rooster over the Mottled Partridge NN hen.

I don't know if this is a way to sex but all are shades of brown but two are a little darker brown color than the other three.

Last edited:
Well something got the Red Naked Neck rooster from the Aloha group that I had decided to keep. So it's left me with only one usable rooster to use.

Here he is:

Guess I'll be teaming him up with the only Aloha NN hen I have left along with a couple of other hens I have.

This has been one discouraging journey for me. Things just seem to get worse and worse. I'm not ready to give it up just yet though. Maybe between what I have left of the Alohas and my Calico hen and red mottled rooster I can continue. I feel there will be a problem with yellow legs though. Just a feeling.

On a positive more I did manage for 6 of the 14 Calico eggs to hatch. Five of the six were naked necked so I do have a few babies to work with.

So I have been following the thread for quite some time, what was the point of introducing NN into the mix? Size?

So I have been following the thread for quite some time, what was the point of introducing NN into the mix? Size?

I'd have to let Sonmer answer that for sure, but I think it was because of the black tail on the buff/red color ( Buff Columbian ). It is supposed to help hold the mottling or something on that order.

For me though I like the Calico look and want to breed it into a line of Naked Necks.

I was thinking of trying to get a line gpiing before Sommer done the cross. After I saw it I knew I had to try my hand at it on NN. So I got done eggs from her to cross into my mottled line I had going on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom