The Aloha Chicken Project

This is the chick that was chocolate colored as a chick but the wings feathered out black. You can still see some chocolate colored feathering on its shoulders, but other than that it is just black/white.

Another black/white with a lot of mottling.
When I crossed my Exchequers Leghorns to a Speckled Sussex, the chicks looked just like this but had pink / white legs. So this is very much what I expected to see in this generation. :)

It sure is! Its a pity its a little cockerel and there is only one that looks like this. Still....I will keep him and breed him back to the spottiest of the pullets and see what happens in the next generation.
Any more chicks this season? I'd love to see some more like this!

And if this guy makes it through the season into the Fall - would just love it if you penned him with the spottiest pullets (and maybe some pure NHR's?) and sent eggs my way! His body type looks just fabulous.
big_smile.png

I wasn't planning to hatch any more this season - I sure wish I'd gotten more than just one that looks like this.

Sigh on the mille leghorns. Yes and no. It turned out, that pic I posted wasn't the birds for sale - it was the parent birds. And, when I contacted the seller, she said all the birds in the pic were hens but she had never been able to find a MF rooster so she has a Buff Leghorn rooster over them. I figured....if the chicks are all leghorn and out of hens as spotty as that, it was worth a chance that some of the chicks would be spotty as well, so I bought them. I am now raising 8 solid buff leghorn chicks
he.gif
Apparently the buff influence is very dominant. I retain some hope that despite being buff themselves, the chicks will have the mottling gene so still have some potential. But considering that crossing back to leghorns will diminish the size we're hoping for, I'm not sure they're going to be a very good option. They do have nice yellow legs though. And I got really lucky that of the 8, only 1 is a cockerel so at least I got a lot of egg layers out of the deal.

Okay....I will keep this little cockerel to put over the spottiest pullets in the fall. In addition to the black/whites, I do have a few others that I will put with him. One of his hatch-mates is solid red, but I figure she should have the mottling gene so I will put her in the group as well and just see what she produces. I also have the older one that I posted pics of earlier that started out looking like a pure NH but now has some spots on her body. And yes, I have a bunch of pure NH pullets I'm raising this year as well so I can add them to the group he covers.

I wasn't planning to hatch any more this season - I sure wish I'd gotten more than just one that looks like this.

Sigh on the mille leghorns. Yes and no. It turned out, that pic I posted wasn't the birds for sale - it was the parent birds. And, when I contacted the seller, she said all the birds in the pic were hens but she had never been able to find a MF rooster so she has a Buff Leghorn rooster over them. I figured....if the chicks are all leghorn and out of hens as spotty as that, it was worth a chance that some of the chicks would be spotty as well, so I bought them. I am now raising 8 solid buff leghorn chicks
he.gif
Apparently the buff influence is very dominant. I retain some hope that despite being buff themselves, the chicks will have the mottling gene so still have some potential. But considering that crossing back to leghorns will diminish the size we're hoping for, I'm not sure they're going to be a very good option. They do have nice yellow legs though. And I got really lucky that of the 8, only 1 is a cockerel so at least I got a lot of egg layers out of the deal.

Okay....I will keep this little cockerel to put over the spottiest pullets in the fall. In addition to the black/whites, I do have a few others that I will put with him. One of his hatch-mates is solid red, but I figure she should have the mottling gene so I will put her in the group as well and just see what she produces. I also have the older one that I posted pics of earlier that started out looking like a pure NH but now has some spots on her body. And yes, I have a bunch of pure NH pullets I'm raising this year as well so I can add them to the group he covers.
Remember I mentioned - that when I tried using Buff Rock - the spotting would not show?

To date, none of the "chicken color calculators" reflect this - but when I tried using solid buff (with buff tail - I mean all buff) I had a bear of a time adding spots. Got a few teeny spots on a couple of hens but that was it. A shame because I thought Buff Rock would have been the perfect outcross. Everyone loves the dual purpose Barred Rock and this was the same breed but in buff with yellow legs. Just didn't work out though.

And strangely, when it was Buff Columbian used (buff with black tail and neck feathers) its like the spots could not wait to appear!

So bizarre.

Getting eggs from this group would be a terrific boost. I'm planning my next "infusion" of outside bloodlines and German NHR was on the list of possibilities. This new baby roo of yours over pure NHR's would give me 3/4 NHR mottled-carriers, and then if you cross him over his sisters, would have probably have *some* mottled chicks - all half NHR - which would save an entire generation of breeding or basically a six month to one year jump on the schedule thanks to your efforts.

Would then take the babies that I hatch from you and maybe borrow an "old school" Aloha roo from my friend Jessica - who has several colorful but tiny boys that I gave her about 2 years ago so they're getting ever more distantly related to my stuff - and aim for some nice half Alohas with improved quality for the breeding flock here. The home flock is getting heavier and heavier with the Sussex blood, in particular Buff Sussex. (Not that heavy Sussex is a bad thing, mind you, the Buff Sussex are doing wonderful things for improving quality. I just have to get the yellow legs in from somewhere else, without decreasing size, so some high quality NHR blood would help and the Leghorn in yours will keep that yellow leg gene strong.)

Remember I mentioned - that when I tried using Buff Rock - the spotting would not show?

To date, none of the "chicken color calculators" reflect this - but when I tried using solid buff (with buff tail - I mean all buff) I had a bear of a time adding spots. Got a few teeny spots on a couple of hens but that was it. A shame because I thought Buff Rock would have been the perfect outcross. Everyone loves the dual purpose Barred Rock and this was the same breed but in buff with yellow legs. Just didn't work out though.

And strangely, when it was Buff Columbian used (buff with black tail and neck feathers) its like the spots could not wait to appear!

So bizarre.
VERY good info. So are you saying it wouldn't surprise you if these solid buff birds never produce mottled offspring even though their mothers were mille fleur? Looking at them last night I noticed that the cockerel actually does have some white spots. I will try to get pics of them later today.

Getting eggs from this group would be a terrific boost. I'm planning my next "infusion" of outside bloodlines and German NHR was on the list of possibilities. This new baby roo of yours over pure NHR's would give me 3/4 NHR mottled-carriers, and then if you cross him over his sisters, would have probably have *some* mottled chicks - all half NHR - which would save an entire generation of breeding or basically a six month to one year jump on the schedule thanks to your efforts.

Would then take the babies that I hatch from you and maybe borrow an "old school" Aloha roo from my friend Jessica - who has several colorful but tiny boys that I gave her about 2 years ago so they're getting ever more distantly related to my stuff - and aim for some nice half Alohas with improved quality for the breeding flock here. The home flock is getting heavier and heavier with the Sussex blood, in particular Buff Sussex. (Not that heavy Sussex is a bad thing, mind you, the Buff Sussex are doing wonderful things for improving quality. I just have to get the yellow legs in from somewhere else, without decreasing size, so some high quality NHR blood would help and the Leghorn in yours will keep that yellow leg gene strong.)

Woo-hoo - very glad to have gotten at least one good, usable bird. I sure wish there were more like him as I now feel the pressure of keeping him alive to breeding age. Not that I've lost many to illness or predators, but you know how it goes - its always the ones you least want to lose that are the first to go
he.gif
I'm going to copy and paste the above to a file to access when the time comes as I know I'll have forgotten th details by then.

VERY good info. So are you saying it wouldn't surprise you if these solid buff birds never produce mottled offspring even though their mothers were mille fleur? Looking at them last night I noticed that the cockerel actually does have some white spots. I will try to get pics of them later today.
When I crossed the Buff Rock (Buff tailed Buff) with Speckled Sussex line birds, I would get either "tri color" (buff or brown with some black and some spots) or I would get almost-solid buff birds with just the tiniest hint of spots. What I would not get is solid buff (Buff tailed Buff) with big, white spots. It was as if whatever gene was causing the tail to become Buff instead of Black was also working to suppress the Mottling effect. I did some research and I did find an article that said even expert chicken breeders did not understand what gene causes the "solid buff" effect. According to this one article it was a mystery as to what made the tail solid yellow instead of black as seen on the Buff Columbian.

Armed with this info, after years of beating my head against the wall (as I had tried both Buff Orpington mix and Buff Rock mix - both Buff tailed Buff breeds - to try and lighten color while adding spots) and I switched to searching for Buff Columbian birds instead, which led me to the neighbor's Buff Columbian Naked Neck who I used due to her size and color, and also to the Buff (Columbian) Sussex, which I had a horrible time getting a hold of but worked beautifully for me once I found them! :D

For some unknown reason, the solid Buff (Buff neck and Buff tail) birds gave me fits trying to put the spots on. I did get a few hens through the years, but I consider getting teeny white spots all over on a Buff-tailed Buff a major accomplishment, based on my personal experiences here.

This is the most Mottling that I was ever got on that bloodline - a chick hatched at my friend Larissa's whom I borrowed back for breeding purposes:

Most were much less spotty than this. This is the best spotted buff-tailed buff that I ever got. (Pic from 2013)

If I had known to start with the Buff Columbian to lighten color on spotted birds instead of trying to use solid (Buff tailed Buff) it would have saved me years of effort and I would have reached the goals much faster. Getting my hands on Buff Sussex has been a huge boost.

Last edited:
Oh, that is what the spots on this one cockerel look like though probably not as many. It is storming here today but as soon as I can, I'll get pics of him to share with you.

Back
Top Bottom