The Aloha Chicken Project

@HEChicken - I just tried to send a message, not sure if it got to you, the mail system is a bit confusing to me on the updated format for this site, LOL. Anyway, the next few weeks are my best chance for shipping out Live chicks, and I would love to send some to you to mix with your gorgeous rooster.

Anyone else who stumbles across this post and is interested in Aloha chicks - I'm only able to ship out to other states a few weeks per year, because the temps must be no higher than 85 degrees, with a low no lower than 37 degrees, on BOTH sides of the shipment. The problem is that because I'm in Phoenix, we are already going to be at 81 degrees later this week, while other places are still really cold. Previously, we've had temps as high as 90 degrees in FEBRUARY which would technically be too hot to ship out!

That means the few shipments that I can get out each year are really special, so these need to go to as many breeder homes as possible. Because I'm simply not able to provide hatching eggs, or to ship chicks, for much of the year due to weather. I am looking for hobbyists who have experience hatching and raising chicks, have an incubator, can keep roosters, etc. Preferably homes where folks already have a Web site or FB page and are currently offering chicks or hatching eggs from other breeds. If you're one of those homes and are interested, feel free to drop me a line.

Hello aloha! Don't know if you remember me, but you shipped me some chicks 6 or 7 years ago. I'd like to get some fresh stock if I can. I currently have an epidemic of egg eating, so most of my flock is going to have to go.

edited to add, I am happy to trade fertile eggs, but typically my hatch rates from shipped eggs are awful.

I did set up a person in Oregon with some shipped chicks last year, her name is Katie but she's on FB not on here, I don't think? I bet she could help you out!

I wanted to share that there is FINALLY a pair of what I would call "finished" Alohas!

Last year, I had a tragic incubator mishap that killed most of the eggs from my best breeder pens. I had to re-stock last minute with basically "whatever" eggs were left. So my own progress last year was kind of . . . . meh.

However, I did manage to ship out a few batches of chicks before this happened, and sent the very best I could hatch to a friend in Texas. She got this AMAZING pair, which display the goals I've been working for all this time:

poco bueno and poco lena.jpg

Here is another pic of the rooster, next to a 5 gallon bucket for scale. She reports he is 26 inches tall at the top of comb. Weight is 8 pounds, 8 oz currently, right at about 6-7 months old. Hen is right at 5 pounds. This pair just started breeding. I think 2 chicks hatched so far, but she's going to try and hatch every egg she can out of this amazing pair.
aloha bucket 2.jpg

She's trying to hatch more chicks out of them, and I hope to get the extra roosters back from her while she keeps the girls to build up a bigger pen. Location of this pair is near Austin, TX - in case anyone is interested in setting up a breeding project using her stock.

There is also another friend that I set up with some nice stock last year in the Little Rock, AR area. She's been selling hatching eggs and chicks. Her chicks were the best I could get to her - large and colorful. Some of her more recent ones include the rare "Dun" color. I believe her eggs were selling for $20 a dozen but I don't know if she's offering shipping. Pretty sure that's local pick up, only.

dun aloha flock.jpg

sheilas aloha flock.jpg

(the all white and the gray hens in the above pic are NOT Alohas, but other breeds)

The quality has been improving a lot lately, and I've now got a couple of new breeders in AR and TX that have been doing an amazing job! Hoping they keep it up because while their flocks are fairly new, they're really nice quality. Super happy with progress this last year!

Now if only I hadn't had the incubator mishap last year where I accidentally botched over 200 of my best hatching eggs . . . . arrrrghhhh.

My group of chicks from @alohachickens are a month old and I'm starting to see their potential a little better now that they are feathering out. They moved from the brooder to my secure hoop coop a week ago and love having the extra space. I'm excited to watch them continue to grow and feather out and move onto the next stage of this project by crossing them to the line I've been developing.
fullsizeoutput_323.jpeg

Chicks look fantastic!

HeChicken, would love to see more (current) photos of your own line - how are they looking this year? (Mottled chickens develop more white as they age, so curious to see how yours are looking.)

Are you going to hatch any chicks from your own stock this Spring to raise alongside the Alohas? Can't wait to see more updates!

DSCN1418.JPG
DSCN1381.JPG
DSCN1391.JPG
Here are a couple of pics of some "teenagers" wandering my hard at the moment.

The best of about 40-ish chicks raised. Only about 3 months old. Still a long ways from seeing how they will turn out, and we still have the hot summer ahead, poor babies!

Also I'm taking photos of a few of the adults - already sold off about 10 adult hens because I have so many nice young hens growing out. Here's a few adult hens that are still left here, I will be hatching out chicks and selling eggs from these for another month or so before the heat will shut everything down.

View attachment 1745486

View attachment 1745488 View attachment 1745489
I am interested in helping with your program as well. I live here in Arizona, but I live about 5 hours away, close to the New Mexico border is a small town called Saint Johns. If you are interested please email me at [email protected]
I would be extremely happy to have these beautiful birds added to my family of birds. Thank you for your time
Tamara

Back
Top Bottom