The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Question: Do any of you have experience with Ayam Cemani AND Svart Hona? I've been dong some reading and can't easily tell differences in appearance... except maybe that Svart Hona in the pictures I'm looking at looks slightly "rounder", if that makes sense? They look so much alike!

I caught one of my EE pullets nibbling on the fermented feed this morning, before I left for work. I'm hoping to come home to a cleared plate! I have started stirring the "scoby" back into the feed each time I scoop some out.

My Ayam Cemani eggs go into lockdown on the 1st! Anyone else hatching Cemani babies weekend?

wee.gif
Side by side, the Cemani are usually taller and more "gamier" in appearance. There's no easy way to describe that look unless you've seen them side by side in person.
The Svarts lay more eggs, and are more cold hardy. I've also found the svarts are most of the time a little smaller than the Cemani, not always but most of the time.

These eggs arrived today from the eBay seller with the multiple AC auctions with stolen photos. They are supposed to be Welsummer and Tolbunt Polish. They are perfectly clean, and I am doubtful. Opinions?

They look reasonably like they should for the breeds. Welsummer eggs are often a bit darker.
That does not mean that they will hatch.
Did you candle them to see if they were fresh and not "pre incubated"?

They do not look 'pre-incubated', but most have rolling air cells. Very disappointed with that. :(

The "seller" on eBay has now stolen MY pictures and is using them on a listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Ayam-Cema...732?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa6019904

The picture of the 3 chicks was taken by a woman who bought those 3 chicks from my partner and I.

Please note: the wording in that listing is also my wording. I wrote it. She stole my Craigslist ad wording to sell "Ayam Cemani eggs".

Last edited:
Rotten scammers. That makes a fourth set of stolen photos. Surely the thief reads here as this is where the first set were stolen from.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone to gave their insight on the Cemani vs. Svart Hona. I still can't tell them apart very well in pictures, but I can kind of see what y'all mean. An article on HobbyFarms.com actually referred to the two as "spooky chickens"... that got a chuckle out of me. It made me think about those skeletal models of dinosaurs, and how cool it would be to see one of an Ayam Cemani.

Can't sleep...so I'm commencing lockdown with my Cemani eggs. I candled one last time, and those embryos are kickin'! I'm so nervous... Good luck to everyone else who is hatching this weekend.

Sorry to hear about the stolen pictures on Ebay. I agree, that it has to be someone who is watching this forum. Hopefully, the purchased eggs turn out to be legit!

I saw an auction once on Ebay for some Ayam Cemani magical stone, talisman. I'm not kidding... A little black rock with a high price tag. I also found magical "horns" once. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

idunno.gif

Last edited:
They do not look 'pre-incubated', but most have rolling air cells. Very disappointed with that. :(

The "seller" on eBay has now stolen MY pictures and is using them on a listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Ayam-Cema...732?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa6019904

The picture of the 3 chicks was taken by a woman who bought those 3 chicks from my partner and I.

Please note: the wording in that listing is also my wording. I wrote it. She stole my Craigslist ad wording to sell "Ayam Cemani eggs".

if none hatch and they were sent through the us mail you might be able to contact the fbi for mail fraud. especialy if they are doing this a lot!
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactus/filecomplaint.aspx

http://www.fbi.gov/contact-us

Last edited:
Yes. I have filed a report. I wish there were a way to encourage others to report. The seller has at least 3 eBay IDs I have been able to identify, all with multiple listings for AC eggs. The listing that uses my photo and text is laughably obvious. She did not even edit the poop out of the picture. Seller claims to have 10 lots of 6 eggs available (!!) for one ID alone.

To revisit the subject of fermented feed....I have mixed water, starter crumble, and unpasturized ACV "with the mother". So far, nothing. How long should it take to start to bubble? Does it need to be a loose slurry to 'work'?

I had an unusual number of pip-and-die in my last batch of eggs. I think the humidity was too high. Does this sound plausible?

Back
Top Bottom