The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

To revisit the subject of fermented feed....I have mixed water, starter crumble, and unpasturized ACV "with the mother". So far, nothing. How long should it take to start to bubble? Does it need to be a loose slurry to 'work'?

I had an unusual number of pip-and-die in my last batch of eggs. I think the humidity was too high. Does this sound plausible?

My guess would be humidity being too high or ventilation being too poor. Was there excess fluid (watery) in the egg upon eggtopsy? I would have a lot of pip-and-die before I switched to dry incubation and reduced my overall humidity during lockdown.

My fermented feed took about four days to consistently, actively start bubbling...

I woke up this morning to a loud, clunking fan unit in my incubator... It's still working fine, but I think it's on its last leg...

There is a good chance I will be stopping at a feed store on the way home from work and picking up a cheap incubator to continue lockdown. Temp and humidity are perfect, but I don't want to push my luck.

This might end up being the third Janoel incubator that's broken down on me. Hang tight, little embryos! I got you, I got you!

Oi...
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I have installed computer fans in my hovabators. If nothing else, you can maybe wire a fan to an old phone charger power block and slip it into the bator along with a couple sprays of water from a sprayer?

I have installed computer fans in my hovabators. If nothing else, you can maybe wire a fan to an old phone charger power block and slip it into the bator along with a couple sprays of water from a sprayer?

That's an excellent idea. I'm getting frustrated with these cheap incubators... but that's probably my fault for actually buying cheap incubators. I LOVED my Janoel 12 (small, 12-egg incubator) until the fan started going out. My SO and I just need to put our nerdy computer brains together and build one.

Do you have luck with spritzing water? I've heard of people doing that before... I should try it.

Last edited:
I spritz water in if for any reason I make the choice to open the incubator during lockdown. A broken fan would fall into the category of 'worth opening the top briefly', IMO. I'm unfamiliar with Janoel. I only have Hovabators (and one nearly useless Little Giant which I use for a hatcher, into which I also installed a computer fan.)

I spritz water in if for any reason I make the choice to open the incubator during lockdown. A broken fan would fall into the category of 'worth opening the top briefly', IMO. I'm unfamiliar with Janoel. I only have Hovabators (and one nearly useless Little Giant which I use for a hatcher,  into which I also installed a computer fan.)

LOL, I'm right there with you on the useless Little Giants. I have one with a computer fan that's used only for hatching, and I get worried entrusting it with my eggs for even those three days. All other incubating is done in my Brinsea.

Last edited:
That seller's name is Rebecca Hamilton of the Sacramento CA area. She used to list her number on her ads. She does send fertile eggs of the other breeds(I think), but the AC eggs(fertile) are not what they advertised them to be.

Last edited:
That is not the name nor city given by this seller.

I'm watching 2 AC chicks that hatched a couple of days ago, with *very* bad legs on one side each, learn to stand one-legged. It's amazing, because they can. I'll let them try to live (as pets). If they want to live, I hate to cull them.

They could be giving you a different name or might be their partner in crime, but I'm pretty sure it's the same person. Either way, be warn and don't buy from that seller....good luck with your eggs that you have already gotten though :)

Marysville is in the Sacramento area, just a little more north

Because I got scam by this seller too, just under a different name...........

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom