The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Pics
I feed my birds Blue Seal feed and have had no issues with it and have seen my birds flourish, in addition to supporting a local industry. I have TM eggs in the bator that I'm hoping I'll have a good hatch on. Then once my second pair arrives I'll start to assess what direction I need to go in. I'd like to acquire a GFF bird at some point, male or female but preferably male I think, but I know each line has its own issues but I'd like to have the 3 of them. I've even thought about selling off most of my Legbar stock to assist in the cost of acquiring the birds. With the amount of current flaws and general quality of the stock we have here in the US I think it will take a bit more than the quality of sheen for me to cull a bird at this point as I think I'll have other issues that are more important to me starting off. I am new to the whole chicken breeding endeavor but I have really enjoyed working with the Marans and then my Cream Legbars since their import in 2011 and have learnt a lot through my struggles and successes. I have to admit I enjoy sharing and learning about this hobby but am not a strict follower of any and all advice given on these forums as a lot of it seems to be contradictory and there are a lot of self-proclaimed experts on the world wide web. I think everyone should breed their flocks with their own goals in mind. I would like to follow a general sense of type so having this version of an SOP to follow is very helpful.
I also feed my birds Blue Seal. The only problem I have with it is that I think the Marigold Extract they put in it makes their feet red. I have noticed this in all of the breeds and the only common elements are the water and their food. Of course I have not yet done an offset scientific study to prove that. So right now it is just an observation.

Congrats 92candy! Remember that chicks need other chicks to survive the first couple of weeks. So if you do not have any other chicks, I would find it some other chicks. If you have a friend, you can ask to borrow and raise (or have your friend raise this chick). Or go to a feed store and buy some. If you buy some, make sure that they will be the same size as the Cemani when they grow up. So any of the bantam or small/medium breeds will do.

It's not just the heat of other chicks, they are flock animals. So I have seen single chicks just give up and stop eating. You worked hard to hatch it. Now find it some friends. :)

The chick was hatched under a hen, when I got the eggs in the mail ALL the air sacks were broke, so I left the eggs sit a few days, then placed them in the bator with the turner turned off for the first week, the 2nd week I had 8 eggs growing, my better half talked me into putting the eggs under a hen. Wish now I hadn't, all the eggs died but 2, this one was the only one to hatch and we had to help it out, the other egg never even piped.

Back
Top Bottom