The American Paint Silkie

I am looking for bearded Silkie Paints to work with as a serious SOP-minded project pen. I do not want naked necks. Could anyone recommend someone who has Paints available? I have contacted Judy Lee, but she doesn't have anything available. Maybe there is someone out here that has breeding stock from Judy? Straight run babies preferably in the interest of my budget. I would also be interested in trios or quads.

I have been trying with shipped eggs from eBay & I'm having a terrible luck with my hatch ratio. I will keep trying to hatch some, but I sure would like to find some alternate sources. If you have hatching eggs, I would be interested in hearing from you too.

:::UPDATE 10/07/14 - I have a source for some hatching eggs, but I would still be interested in some straight run chicks.:::

I will update this post when I finally have the Paints that I want. If you are reading this post ... I am still looking. Please drop me a line if you know a source, private message is fine.

Last edited:
We have stock from Judy Lee. Our chicks are all from Judy Lee hens, but the Rooster is not from her, but he is beautiful.
Our hens are still laying, but we don't want to hatch any this late date. We are located in Atlanta, GA, so it is possible that the eggs will have less bumps from the postal workers. We sell then for $20 per dozen. We currently have the following birds for sale (all Roosters - Bunny is NOT from Judy stock, but the rest are chicks with Hen from Judy):
Number Name Price color Hatch date
B15 Clarity $ 20 Paint 05/09/14
B2 Bunny:(Paint) $ 20 Paint 05/01/13
B37 Summer Rain $ 10 Paint 07/20/14

Just sharing my pretty girl Spot and her handsome spit INK. I know his leakage is terrible on such a handsome boy.

Hi guys! I'm usually on the silkie thread, but I found this one and I am excited because I have 6 little paint wigglers about to hatch under a broody!!! Should be hatching with in the next couple of days.

Hi guys! I'm usually on the silkie thread, but I found this one and I am excited because I have 6 little paint wigglers about to hatch under a broody!!! Should be hatching with in the next couple of days.
Watch them close though, cause I had 5 paint eggs under a broody this week that never hatched :( They were alive on day 19 but never did peep at all. When I dicovered them dead it appeared like they had shrink wrapped and just didnt have enough humidity or something. If I could go back I wouldve either leaved them in the bator or intervened when they didnt peep after day 20-21. Just keep an eye on them. I was very sad. Good luck!

This is my 8th broody hatch this year and the 3rd with this hen, so I think everything should be okay. Lets hope so anyway. :)

Edited to add..... Okay now you have me freaking out a little lol. I candled one of them and the air cell is huge. Hopefully they are okay.

Last edited:
My babies hatched! One left to go. 4 blacks and a pink skinned white. Soooooo that was unexpected. They come from good breeding. I don't have spotted paints to breed to them though. Black and black will make black right? Or is there a chance for a paint in that breeding?
Here they are! :) They come from really nice paints, I just got less spots than I had planned for, but I love them anyway. :)

Last edited:
Sooo Excited!! I have 9 eggs developing in the incubator - so far so good! Tomorrow is hatch day!!! These are eggs from our 2 best couples, Neptune and Sprite, and Bunny and Opal. Cannot wait to see the Neptune and Sprite combo. This is the first time that we are hatching these where we are keeping track. We got some before that we think were from them, and they seemed extremely beautiful, be we sold them before they grew up. Pictures of the happy couples are below:

Bunny

Opal

Neptune

Neptune and Sprite

Sprite

Back
Top Bottom