The American Paint Silkie

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Dec 15, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Quote:http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/moubre733/001-3.jpg
    I will be coming real soon! We just built this coop and we are building another one even bigger too. I should be able to keep a pair in each stall. Now I just need to fill it up with more silkies.
    This is my black roo that will sire the paint pullet when she matures.
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/moubre733/002-2.jpg
    This is an older picture of the paint girl. She is a bit darker now.
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/moubre733/003-1.jpg

nice coop is that 3 or 6 stalls

6 stalls on this coop and we are building another with 9 stalls. There is a divider on each shelf. My show birds and going in these cages and the breeders go into a big stall.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:nice coop is that 3 or 6 stalls

6 stalls on this coop and we are building another with 9 stalls. There is a divider on each shelf. My show birds and going in these cages and the breeders go into a big stall.

cool cool some thing like that work great my house i only keep pairs and trio got breeding

3. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    I am still reading every page of the thread have only made it to page 15 so this has prob. been asked before but here it is, What colors do most people keep in their paint pens like 4 paints 2 blacks with 2 paint roos something like that maybe?

4. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:some breeder breed paint to black some do paint to white then also paint to paint

5. I-Have-Happy-Hens

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    I guessed that I meant like if you have 10 birds in a paint pen what # of each color do you have? Do you have 10 paints or do you have 2 nice whites 5 paints and 3 blacks or am I totally off? [​IMG]

6. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Quote:Ummm it's not a set amount. You can have however many you want to put in the pen.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  7. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:i would want to know what i was getting my best paint from so i would breed black to paint in one pen white to paint in another paint to paint in another so o couple breed babies from each pen to unrelated birds and so i know who made best paints

8. I-Have-Happy-Hens

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Ok thanks

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:i would want to know what i was getting my best paint from so i would breed black to paint in one pen white to paint in another paint to paint in another so o couple breed babies from each pen to unrelated birds and so i know who made best paints

Even that is difficult to evaluate. We still are trying to figure out paints and their genetics. Breeding to black (most neutral colour for silkies) is a given. Questions: How does that compare to breeding paint X paint. Frankly, I see (future) problems from pairing to whites.

10. I-Have-Happy-Hens

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Sonoran Silkies,

Do you have and Nicer BQ or SQ buff pullets for sale?

Thanks,

Happy-Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by