The American Paint Silkie

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Dec 15, 2010.

1. CrestedHorizonPoultry

CrestedHorizonPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Missouri
    I just put a paint up for sale here on in the 8 weeks and up auctions.

2. CrestedHorizonPoultry

CrestedHorizonPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Missouri
    I also have black cockerels up on featherauction.com for sale. If you need new blood for your paint breeding, they would be a great addition. Just look for Crested Horizon Poultry

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I have 6 paint babies for sale on my website: www.elitesilkies.com I will have some more available in a week or two.

4. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I have a quick question....I have 1 paint rooster that has like only 2 back feathers on him..one in the base of the tail and one in the wing. I am breeding him to 2 of my best black hens. What are my chances that the paint chicks will have more black on them?

5. jenlynn4

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    well ok he has like maybe 3 black feathers in his tail but they are small ones. His spots were bigger when he was little. I still hope he is carrying the gene so the babies may have hope. Here is a pic of his tail:

[​IMG]

and here he is: (he also has a creamy color to him now but I still have hope...maybe??? lol)

[​IMG]

6. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    JennLynn, he should give you paint babies. As long as he's from paint breeding, which he is, he'll be carrying the gene. There are reports that even solids from paint can produce paint offspring.

I have found I like breeding mine to white even better than using black. They don't seem to suffer from the pigment holes that breeding to black does. Of course I need to do more breedings from the two colors to verify.

7. jenlynn4

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    OHHHH thats wonderful to know because I have some SUPER nice white hens! I think hes gonna get some new gals! that will be more paint eggs for me! Thanks so much for the advice. [​IMG]

8. jerschex

jerschex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    outside New Orleans
    No American Blood Contamination, Pure Dutch

[​IMG]

Heavily Marked

[​IMG]

3rd generation from Dutch Imports

[​IMG]

Sigrid VonDort Line

[​IMG]