The American Paint Silkie

You are welcome. Another point to remember is that if red starts to show through the white in male paints, the best way to remove the red in future males is to out cross to superior paint male or a pure black male and then back cross the female paint offspring to males that do not show red ( either black males or paint males). Just because you cross a good looking female paint with a male paint does not mean the offspring will be free of red. Red free paint females can produce paint males that show red.

A black male that is leaking white in the hackles will work also to produce female breeders (not male breeders). A female breeder produced from this cross will pass silver on to her male offspring which will help eliminate or reduce the red in male paints. Back crossing the paint female offspring to the black male parent should eliminate the leaking red in future male offspring.

Tim

Last edited:
Sometimes paint chicks are hatched that are the smokey grayish bluish that you sometimes see on silver based white babies. I just saw a couple of them but didn't notice if they had spots. I'm thinking that they didn't but will check and let you know. My chick in the pic below has some of the bluish/grayish tint. Judy's are solidly that color with no yellow or white until the wing feathers start growing and they are stunningly white! As a comparison, the picture below the chick is of this same chick as a grown pullet.

Judy Lee has not kept those chicks, so there is no way to know at this time if they are recessive or dominant silver based white birds. I know that I will be keeping any that I have that hatch and doing a trial breeding to see what they produce.

Edited to give credit to Cat Dance Silkies as the chicks that I hatched were from her eggs!!

9079_img_0161_1.jpg

9079_pb230141.jpg

That is recessive white, Dominant white produces white down with yellowish color or white with black spots. I worked with dominant white for 6 years and all of my worked agreed with the literature, Recessive white can have non-white down.

Tim

Last edited:
I found using a roo from a paint to paint breeding to not work very well, I ended up with smaller spots and many pure whites. i, at this point, will only breed paint to black and prefer those blacks to be from black to black only breedings.

You are welcome. Another point to remember is that if red starts to show through the white in male paints, the best way to remove the red in future males is to out cross to superior paint male or a pure black male and then back cross the female paint offspring to males that do not show red ( either black males or paint males). Just because you cross a good looking female paint with a male paint does not mean the offspring will be free of red. Red free paint females can produce paint males that show red.

A black male that is leaking white in the hackles will work also to produce female breeders (not male breeders). A female breeder produced from this cross will pass silver on to her male offspring which will help eliminate or reduce the red in male paints. Back crossing the paint female offspring to the black male parent should eliminate the leaking red in future male offspring.

Tim

I found using a roo from a paint to paint breeding to not work very well, I ended up with smaller spots and many pure whites. i, at this point, will only breed paint to black and prefer those blacks to be from black to black only breedings.

We only have paint pens with Paint over Black and Black over Paint. Paint x Paint we were getting around 75% white chicks.

So I was looking at my paint chicks before headin on vacation and I noticed one single black shaft in the center of the head puff. Right now it has white fluff coming out of it. Is that going to turn into a black feather? It is smack dabb in the center. They are just starting to get their feathers in.

Last edited:
Oh and I know it's probably a really stupid question, but why are they being crossed out with blacks? I understand to improve type, but why were blacks chosen and not a different color?

The dominant white gene produces the white area on a paint. This gene leaks black when a bird only has one dominant white gene. The dominant white gene does not work on red pigments, it only works to remove black pigment from a bird. If you crossed a paint with a buff, the offspring would be buff with black leaking through the white- the offspring are not a paint.

Tim

We only have paint pens with Paint over Black and Black over Paint. Paint x Paint we were getting around 75% white chicks.

You both missed my point. My point was this; even if you cross two birds ( both are paints) that do not show any red; the offspring can show red. The female is most likely the problem if you cross a male not showing red with a female not showing red. The point of my post was to help individuals eliminate red that may be showing in paints. See my preceding posts and I explain the outcomes of breeding.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom