The Animals of our local Shelter

Pics
They are so cute!! :lol:

Yeah, we do get a lot of hound mixes, and this winter we got a lot of husky mixes (we generally get Chihuahua, Pittie and Lab mixes). The first two are beagle siblings and Cagney we are thinking is a Treeing Walker Coonhound Mix.

I'm sure we can find a great home for the higher-energy dogs. We've had plenty of those in the past and they tend to calm down a lot once they realize they are loved and have a forever home with a consistent schedule.

They are so cute and sweet! In the past we had trouble adopting out beagles (we are out near farm-land and hounds were hard to rehome), but now I think people are realizing how cute they are!

They really are!

Aw i love all those hah i dont really look for dogs too often but when i do i think it's mostly lab and pittie/staffie/bully breed/bulldog mixes. Then there's usually terrier or shepherd mixes too.

Aw well whatever they are, they sure are cute!

And aww yeah that makes sense, sometimes the shelter can be a crazy environment and i can imagine they'd get hyped up with the other dogs too. Being in a home with training and a schedule like you said i can imagine they would calm down some. Then again some dogs are just active hah. But with Lennox, he seems like just a big love bug that shouldn't be THAT energetic once he really settles in. But maybe he is lol

They are so cute!! :lol:

Yeah, we do get a lot of hound mixes, and this winter we got a lot of husky mixes (we generally get Chihuahua, Pittie and Lab mixes). The first two are beagle siblings and Cagney we are thinking is a Treeing Walker Coonhound Mix.

I'm sure we can find a great home for the higher-energy dogs. We've had plenty of those in the past and they tend to calm down a lot once they realize they are loved and have a forever home with a consistent schedule.

They are so cute and sweet! In the past we had trouble adopting out beagles (we are out near farm-land and hounds were hard to rehome), but now I think people are realizing how cute they are!

Honestly, I think Beagles are some of the best dogs. :lol: They're so sweet with people and kids and generally get along well with other dogs too. If we didn't already have two dogs I'd tell my mom we should go adopt those two Beagles. :lau Before we loved to our house now we rented a house and we couldn't have dogs or cats, and we had just go over losing Babe. So we knew as soon as we moved we would want to get a dog, so we started looking all over. When we went to pick it a dog my refused to adopt or even look at "that one Beagle". We took "that one Beagle" home. :gig She's honestly one of the best dogs ever, and then a few months later we went back for a Redtick Coonhound mix. :) This just shows how Beagles and hounds in general have a bad rap and a lot of people have awful impressions of them. If everyone who's looking to adopt a dog just spent a few minutes with a hound up for adoption I think a LOT more hounds would be adopted! Cagney does look to be a Treeing Walker mix, but if he's smaller in size he's more likely a Foxhound mix. :)

Honestly, I think Beagles are some of the best dogs. :lol: They're so sweet with people and kids and generally get along well with other dogs too. If we didn't already have two dogs I'd tell my mom we should go adopt those two Beagles. :lau Before we loved to our house now we rented a house and we couldn't have dogs or cats, and we had just go over losing Babe. So we knew as soon as we moved we would want to get a dog, so we started looking all over. When we went to pick it a dog my refused to adopt or even look at "that one Beagle". We took "that one Beagle" home. :gig She's honestly one of the best dogs ever, and then a few months later we went back for a Redtick Coonhound mix. :) This just shows how Beagles and hounds in general have a bad rap and a lot of people have awful impressions of them. If everyone who's looking to adopt a dog just spent a few minutes with a hound up for adoption I think a LOT more hounds would be adopted! Cagney does look to be a Treeing Walker mix, but if he's smaller in size he's more likely a Foxhound mix. :)

Yeah, beagles seem like really nice dogs and I have known some people (well, Internet friends) with beagles and their dogs were great. Or seemed it. I've been thinking about beagles for a little while off and on but wvery time I mention it, my mom refuses to get beagles. We had one family friend who had one once but only for a short time I think. I think it peed everywhere and got into stuff and was a terror so I think that made a bad impression. I know because she says beagles pee everywhere. And sometimes that they get into everything. Probably true with their noses but I don't think they pee anymore than a normal dog. I think with a good owner they would be fine cause not to be mean but they weren't really dog people.

But that said, I'm not even sure we could get one now with our dog or that we could get a second dog.

My mom says we should have gotten a smaller dog or that we should get one for me but I mention beagles and it's no. I think she needs to spend time with one. My dad too. They seem to think they are annoying little things.

But what are some good medium or smaller breeds?

But I'm not even sure we can get a small dog. Our current dog is a black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix and he's huge, like 130-140 pounds haha

So I'd be worried about a small dog getting hurt when playing?

He loves tug and is VERY strong lol

But then again maybe beagles are tough dogs?

Although I have been thinking of a Golden Retriever or something more trainable but the ears make me nervous plus even Goldens and Labs are a little bit big. But maybe Beagles are trainable too?

Yeah, beagles seem like really nice dogs and I have known some people (well, Internet friends) with beagles and their dogs were great. Or seemed it. I've been thinking about beagles for a little while off and on but wvery time I mention it, my mom refuses to get beagles. We had one family friend who had one once but only for a short time I think. I think it peed everywhere and got into stuff and was a terror so I think that made a bad impression. I know because she says beagles pee everywhere. And sometimes that they get into everything. Probably true with their noses but I don't think they pee anymore than a normal dog. I think with a good owner they would be fine cause not to be mean but they weren't really dog people.

But that said, I'm not even sure we could get one now with our dog or that we could get a second dog.

My mom says we should have gotten a smaller dog or that we should get one for me but I mention beagles and it's no. I think she needs to spend time with one. My dad too. They seem to think they are annoying little things.

But I'm not even sure we can get a small dog. Our current dog is a black Lab/Great Pyrenees mix and he's huge, like 130-140 pounds haha

All hounds are going to pee in the house a little more when you first get them because they can smell every scent in the carpet and on the furniture. Poodles or Golden Retrievers, say, don't have as good of scent so they can't smell everything and therefore pee less. However, hounds are smart (despite their sometimes dumb appearance :rolleyes: ) and will learn quickly not to pee in the house. To me it sounds like you'd do well with a Treeing Walker, Redtick, Bluetick, or Black and Tan Coonhound. They're not huge, but they're also not super small. They are strong so they will be able to hold their own while playing with your current dog.

Oh yes, Beagles are strong and extremely tough! But I feel your parents aren't "scarred" yet about Coonhounds like they are about Beagles. :) Plus, I think it would be better for larger dogs to play together instead of risking injury to a Beagle which could get hurt despite their toughness.

Although I have been thinking of a Golden Retriever or something more trainable but the ears make me nervous plus even Goldens and Labs are a little bit big. But maybe Beagles are trainable too?

All dogs are trainable, even Beagles and hounds. :) They just require a little more patience because they get distracted really easily. I personally think hounds are more personable and fun than Labs or GR's, but that's a matter of opinion. :)

There are some awesome small-medium mix-breeds (including beagle mixes) at shelters that put up with large dogs well. They are between the size of 25 and 50 lbs and can sit on your lap but also put up with longer walks and bigger breeds. I have a friend who has a Newfie as well as a little Cockapoo together. : )

Unfixed males and any females seem to be more prone to using the bathroom in the house, but any breed can be taught, even older dogs that were never trained when young. It just takes a lot of patience (our 10 year-old female still uses the carpet sometimes, and she is a Maltese x Poodle mix).

Back
Top Bottom