The Appearance of the Short Lived Split-Second first Squat!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jackquline, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Jackquline

Jackquline Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2015
    Hello everyone, I hope all is well.
    I have two barred rock girls who are 20 weeks 1 day old named Chica and Adaline. They were born on July

4th and I had given up hope of them laying this year because of the time change and how under developed

they had been at 16 weeks. Well four week s later and they have grown out their combs and wattles and

they are a bright red most of the time (sometimes it fades and then boom bright red again!) They are

eating an all flock with oyster shell on the side because i also have 5 twelve week old girls in the coop with

them. Well this morning as i was doing my regular routine, when my top of the pecking order pullet Chica

did a semi squat! I could not believe my eyes so a few moments later i tried to touch her again and she

completely squatted!! I was so happy and gave her an extra treat. I know it does not sound like much but i

am a first time chicken mommy and they are like my babies so i am so very proud of my little Chica!

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

That first squat is so exciting, isn't it?? (try telling that to a non-chicken person and watch them look at you like you are nuts. LOL) Just today, I tried to catch one of my 5 or 6-mo old (I can't tell them apart anymore!) pullets, and as I grabbed at her tail, she totally squatted and put her "elbows" out. Yippee!!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I know what you mean. I mentioned squatting to my wife a couple of weeks ago - she kind of said "mmmm" and stared off into the distance [​IMG] Still no eggs from mine, but i do tell her every day that she needs to get on with laying!
    CT

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My barred rocks would start laying at 5-6 months old, so I wouldn't get too impatient, most will start squatting 2-4 weeks before beginning to lay.

5. Jackquline

Oct 9, 2015
    Her wings went out slightly but not a lot but it was for sure a squat! I told my little sister who helps me out with them a lot and she looked me dead in the eyes and said "is that the way chickens exercise?" I laughed so hard![​IMG]

6. Jackquline

Oct 9, 2015
    The first pictures are of them at 15 weeks.

Chica
    [​IMG]

Adaline
    [​IMG]

These are pics from a few moments ago. The combs and wattles have gotten larger and bright red.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

They're very pretty girls! =)

8. Free as a Bird

Free as a Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    New England
    That is so exciting! I love barred rocks!

9. Jackquline

Oct 9, 2015
    Thanks! [​IMG]

10. Jackquline

Oct 9, 2015
    I have only raised my one small flock but they seem to be my favorites? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by