The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

I've read that Malays came from ancient Kulm Fowl of India, during my research. Just can't seem to find a good picture of what they looked like. Do you know what they looked like?

20221130_103520.jpg

Just out of curiosity, you let your birds run together all the time, correct? How are you so sure that this bird isn't a mix? Her body type is completely different from the Malays, shank color is wrong, plumage is a different pattern, and her comb even looks a little different in the one close shot of her as well. Wouldn't the logical conclusion be that she's an accidental mixed breed and not some throwback or mutation that's randomly occurred? I honestly thought she was just a clean-faced Easter-egger until you started referring to her as a Malay...

Just out of curiosity, you let your birds run together all the time, correct? How are you so sure that this bird isn't a mix? Her body type is completely different from the Malays, shank color is wrong, plumage is a different pattern, and her comb even looks a little different in the one close shot of her as well. Wouldn't the logical conclusion be that she's an accidental mixed breed and not some throwback or mutation that's randomly occurred? I honestly thought she was just a clean-faced Easter-egger until you started referring to her as a Malay...
She's pure Malay. No Bantams in the coop, or Bantam EEs.
Just a freak that came out of nowhere.

My birds do run together yes, but I monitor all breedings closely, & the Malays were more actively breeding this year, then the EEs.
I had a Malay hen, & rooster separated for breeding this year, & Big Fatty, came from the breeder group, same with her brother. The hen had the proper 3 week cleansing before breeding, & hatching.
Mother, & father.
20220526_144230.jpg
20220526_144247.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, just seems awfully suspicious to me. You're not out there 24/7 to be 100% sure that no one else is breeding them, and 3 weeks is an estimate, some have had their birds remain fertilized for a month or more after a male has been removed from a flock. Just seems... odd that so many things would differ on this one bird. I don't know, it feels a bit disingenuous to me to proclaim you've got another rare mutation that's happened when it seems like anyone else would look at this bird and say she's probably a mix. :idunno I'll drop it at that, though, I really doubt we'll ever agree on this point.

Hmm, just seems awfully suspicious to me. You're not out there 24/7 to be 100% sure that no one else is breeding them, and 3 weeks is an estimate, some have had their birds remain fertilized for a month or more after a male has been removed from a flock. Just seems... odd that so many things would differ on this one bird. I don't know, it feels a bit disingenuous to me to proclaim you've got another rare mutation that's happened when it seems like anyone else would look at this bird and say she's probably a mix. :idunno I'll drop it at that, though, I really doubt we'll ever agree on this point.
Throw Back isn't a Mutation.

I'm actually outside quite often. Especially when I'm breeding chickens during Spring/summer times.

You never use the restroom? Never go inside to eat a meal? Never make a run into town for feed? Never have your back turned working with other birds in other pens? I don't know, I guess, even if I was mostly sure, calling her a throwback wouldn't be my first inclination because, as I said, it feels disingenuous when there's a much more logical answer.

But, again, I am disengaging from this conversation because it's obvious we will not agree here.

You never use the restroom? Never go inside to eat a meal? Never make a run into town for feed? Never have your back turned working with other birds in other pens? I don't know, I guess, even if I was mostly sure, calling her a throwback wouldn't be my first inclination because, as I said, it feels disingenuous when there's a much more logical answer.

But, again, I am disengaging from this conversation because it's obvious we will not agree here.
Of course I use the bathroom. Would be weird if I didn't.

Feed runs are usually within a few weeks, to a month depending on how much feed we have, so I'm not running into town that often.

Back
Top Bottom