The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

Probably yes.

Yes, that should be the case.

Mostly correct. Because Dominant White is dominant, it cannot hide. If a chicken shows large amounts of black or blue, they do not have Dominant White.

But Dominant White does not affect gold or red shades, so a "red" chicken might have Dominant White (example: Red Sexlink hens with white tails) or not have Dominant White (example: Rhode Island Reds with their black tails.)

Probably 50/50 for what percent of his chicks show Dominant White.
For example, from a hen who is pure for E (Extended Black), half the chicks will be black and half will be white.

From a hen like that but showing blue, 1/4 of the chicks will be black, 1/4 blue, and 1/2 white (half the whites also having blue, but you can't see it because of the white.)

From a red hen with a black tail, chicks should be:
1/4 red with a black tail
1/4 red with a white tail
1/4 silver with a black tail
1/4 silver with a white trail (i.e. like the rooster)
All of them could have some black or white in other places than the tail (look at Columbian-colored chickens and Red Sexlinks for typical locations of the black or white.)
Thank you! I had completely overlooked that I would get some red/ dominant white offspring. I only hold back a few each year to carry on with, so I should hopefully be able to avoid too much dominant white in the future.

I have some other pullets, not pictured above, that are barred. If I put him over them how would that work out in regard to the dominant white and barring?
Still 50/50? Would all the offspring either express or carry barring?
1676228227980.jpeg

I have some other pullets, not pictured above, that are barred. If I put him over them how would that work out in regard to the dominant white and barring?
Still 50/50? Would all the offspring either express or carry barring?
50% of chicks would have Dominant White, 50% not.

All sons would have barring from their barred mothers (on the 50% with Dominant White, that would be white barring on a white bird, so not the easiest thing to see, but still genetically present.)

Whether all daughters would have barring, or only some have barring, would depend on the rooster's genes. If he's got 2 copies of the barring gene, then all his daughters will have it (no matter who their mothers are.) But if he's got only 1 copy of the barring gene, then half his daughters will have it and half will not (again, no matter who their mothers are.)

Likewise, depending on the rooster's barring genes, he may give it to all of his sons, or only to half of them. From the barred hens, that would mean that half the sons will have 2 copies of the barring gene, while the other half might only have one. From the not-barred hens, half the sons will have barring, but the other half might not.

Thank you! I had completely overlooked that I would get some red/ dominant white offspring. I only hold back a few each year to carry on with, so I should hopefully be able to avoid too much dominant white in the future.
You're welcome. Yes, you should be able to select chicks with no Dominant White just by looking for obvious amounts of black or blue. Primary wing feathers often show black (or blue or Dominant White) if the bird is going to have it anywhere, so you may be able to sort them by that at a young age (if you want to sell or cull them early.)

I added all 4 Brassy Back OEGBs to the standard coop(Making more space in the Bantam Coop), so I should expect some interesting OEGB crossed birds from them.
What color combinations do you think I may get?

Standard Flock: 2, Chameleon Hen's(Easter Eggers)
VideoCapture_20230214-063444.jpg
VideoCapture_20230214-063627.jpg

Dino, Red Barred, & his Sister, Crele-ish
20220127_120153.jpg

1 Buff Orpington hen
20220811_190754.jpg

Buffy - Buff Orpington X Wheaten Crele Orpington back cross hen
VideoCapture_20230214-065101.jpg

1, EE/Brahma cross hen
20210114_142821.jpg

1, Buff Orpington/Barred Rock X RIR cross hen
20201126_120634.jpg

Pumpkin Boy - Cockerel(Rehoming)
20230205_125435.jpg

Beardy - Easter Egger
20201202_142207.jpg

Fibro Easter Egger
20221225_124550.jpg

Black Jersey Giant(Not Pictured)

The AustraWhite in the coop is getting culled tomorrow, so she's not listed as an option.

I noticed that a few years ago you got your hands on a very nice golden azteca and wanted to see what you have learned about it. I recently got one and was going to cross with a trigo. Wanted to see what your thought were. Thank you!

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 3
I have question with the frizzle gene. I am going to breed my blue sizzle to a bark blue/black Silkie. I should get 50/50 Silkie and frizzle. I want to keep one of the blue Silkie boys and the blue girls. Will the chicks carry a hidden frizzle gene and when bred together will it cause some chicks to be a frazzled?

I have question with the frizzle gene. I am going to breed my blue sizzle to a bark blue/black Silkie. I should get 50/50 Silkie and frizzle. I want to keep one of the blue Silkie boys and the blue girls. Will the chicks carry a hidden frizzle gene and when bred together will it cause some chicks to be a frazzled?
No. I’ve seen a “sizzle“ once at a show, an adult. Got a photo of her, and it doesn’t show it well, but silkies with the the frizzle gene do have a slightly different feather look. You should be able to pick out a pair that has one frizzle and one non-frizzle. Frizzling is dominant too, so there’s no hiding it. The biggest indicator to what they are should be in the wings.. Compare the two photos below.
Sizzle I saw at show(wing feathers curve away from body)
E4A2DF18-24F4-4F80-8E6E-4D8DE77F3B98.jpeg

Silkie I also saw(wing feathers are close to body):
15FDA390-443C-4B2D-98A4-37B88FE501A1.jpeg

No. If a chick has a frizzle gene, it will show, even on silkied feathers

No. I’ve seen a “sizzle“ once at a show, an adult. Got a photo of her, and it doesn’t show it well, but silkies with the the frizzle gene do have a slightly different feather look. You should be able to pick out a pair that has one frizzle and one non-frizzle. Frizzling is dominant too, so there’s no hiding it. The biggest indicator to what they are should be in the wings.. Compare the two photos below.
Sizzle I saw at show(wing feathers curve away from body)
View attachment 3406815

Silkie I also saw(wing feathers are close to body):View attachment 3406814
I don’t think the top one is a sizzle. Here is my sizzle
8007AFC9-2B83-4F7D-8AAD-146D4CF703F7.jpeg

No. If a chick has a frizzle gene, it will show, even on silkied feathers
Ok, thanks you! I didn’t think they had a hidden frizzle gene, just wanted to make sure.

I don’t think the top one is a sizzle. Here is my sizzle View attachment 3407369
That looks like a satin with the frizzle gene, a frizzled satin? Satins are silkies who may or may not carry the silkie feathering gene, but do not show it because they aren't homozygous for the gene. I believe sizzles are birds with the silkie feathering gene + frizzle feathering gene. Silkie terminology confuses me..

edited my description of satins. In this case, you may get sizzles, silkies, satins, or frizzled satins when you breed her to a silkie black rooster.

Back
Top Bottom