The "Ask Anything" to Nicalandia Thread

That looks like a satin with the frizzle gene, a frizzled satin? Satins are silkies who may or may not carry the silkie feathering gene, but do not show it because they aren't homozygous for the gene. I believe sizzles are birds with the silkie feathering gene + frizzle feathering gene. Silkie terminology confuses me..

edited my description of satins. In this case, you may get sizzles, silkies, satins, or frizzled satins when you breed her to a silkie black rooster.
Different people call different things sizzles. Some call silkied frizzles that and some call satin frizzles that.

I personally call silkied frizzles sizzles because Satin frizzles look like any other frizzle

That looks like a satin with the frizzle gene, a frizzled satin? Satins are silkies who may or may not carry the silkie feathering gene, but do not show it because they aren't homozygous for the gene. I believe sizzles are birds with the silkie feathering gene + frizzle feathering gene. Silkie terminology confuses me..

edited my description of satins. In this case, you may get sizzles, silkies, satins, or frizzled satins when you breed her to a silkie black rooster.
I was told when I bought her she was a sizzle, so she may or may not be. I do know she produces chicks with Silkie feathers when bred to a Silkie. she produces frizzles when bred to a smooth feathered bird.

I was told when I bought her she was a sizzle, so she may or may not be. I do know she produces chicks with Silkie feathers when bred to a Silkie. she produces frizzles when bred to a smooth feathered bird.
That means she carries a silkie feather gene and because of that she is able to produce silkies when bred to a silkie.
She is a frizzle, a sizzle is a silkied frizzle.
Some of the confusion comes from people not understanding feather genetics, it's no big deal, if you don't know then you just don't know.
There was a time that I didn't know either, but with some experience in breeding it all came together.
Don't be discouraged at all, it's experience that you are getting and it's empowerment to you. Experiential knowledge is valuable and that's what you're getting.

I saw Silkies for sale at Walmart.
Isle #8
A5307ECC-FA08-4C31-904C-0ABA30D83AD4.jpeg :oops:

Different people call different things sizzles. Some call silkied frizzles that and some call satin frizzles that.

I personally call silkied frizzles sizzles because Satin frizzles look like any other frizzle
Is it bad that whenever someone says “sizzle” i think of fried chicken?

The worst part is probably that im vegan :D

Hi, i have a few questions that might seem silly.

1. When breeding, is it okay to breed offspring to parents/siblings? I think parents is bad and siblings are good? I just want to make sure.

2. When breeding, people say to breed a female breed to a male breed to get this and the opposites, though breed is not altered, will be different. How does this work?

3. How do you get the qualities you want? An example: I have a rooster with a green sheen and good comb but his legs are too long, i have a hen same breed with perfect legs but her comb is bad and has no sheen.

How can you breed to say a green sheen chicken with good comb and good legs? Do you breed them and breed the best from that offspring? Thank you!

Hi, i have a few questions that might seem silly.

1. When breeding, is it okay to breed offspring to parents/siblings? I think parents is bad and siblings are good? I just want to make sure.
Other way around. Mom to son is far better and less risky than brother to sister
2. When breeding, people say to breed a female breed to a male breed to get this and the opposites, though breed is not altered, will be different. How does this work?
Certain genes are sexlinked, like barring. Daughters get it from their father and sons get it from mother and father
3. How do you get the qualities you want? An example: I have a rooster with a green sheen and good comb but his legs are too long, i have a hen same breed with perfect legs but her comb is bad and has no sheen.

How can you breed to say a green sheen chicken with good comb and good legs? Do you breed them and breed the best from that offspring? Thank you!

Other way around. Mom to son is far better and less risky than brother to sister

Certain genes are sexlinked, like barring. Daughters get it from their father and sons get it from mother and father
Much appreciated! Thank you.
Would it be bad to breed siblings? I know multiple generations it starts getting bad but just curious because im trying to get a good Japanese bantam and hatching some at the moment.

Much appreciated! Thank you.
Would it be bad to breed siblings? I know multiple generations it starts getting bad but just curious because im trying to get a good Japanese bantam and hatching some at the moment.
Breeding siblings is generally negative.
I did it for a pair that I had, not realizing that the person I got the eggs from had also bred siblings together. There were no others to breed to or so I thought. I got a real mixup of genes. Good genes, bad genes, mediocre genes and everything inbetween. I got some offspring that were substantially bigger than either parent, substantially smaller than either parent, a few that didn't even resemble the breed and everything in between.
The rooster ended up inheriting a lethal gene from his parents that were siblings. He passed it on to several of his daughters and sons. The gene being that the majority of the chicks that he sired from being bred to his daughters ended up dying in the shell. For instance, one year I did a test breeding in breeding him back to a daughter. Out of thirty two fertile eggs, only four hatched, two of the chicks died before they were three days old, one lived to be four-ish months old and another one lived to be fourteen months old. I opened up the fourteen month old to see if there was something internal wrong with him. His liver and gizzard were twice as big as they should have been.
Generally if you need to breed close it's better to breed son to mother or daughter to father. If you do decide to breed siblings, only do it one generation.
Note: Not all chicken breeds have the lethal gene that I just described above, so don't get scared that just because you breed siblings that this is what is going to happen to you. I just shared my experience for your benefit.

Back
Top Bottom